Couch to 5K
53,082 members85,161 posts

New trainers, new distance

Update

You may remember I posted a photo of my new trainers earlier in the week. Well, after four days of wearing them indoors and keeping them clean, I ventured out today, anticipating something! 🤔Also, ignoring the scientific protocol of not changing two things at the same time because otherwise you don’t know which is affecting your outcome, I decided to run without Sarah in my ear and attempt to cover a known 5k route. 😲

So the result was interesting. I managed 5k in 35 minutes, and I actually felt more focused without the countdown of minutes completed that the app provides. However, both my ankles are a little sore tonight which I guess is something to do with the correction of overpronation. Overall, quite chuffed. 😊

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done.

You can expect a bit of adjustment from your muscles when you have new shoes that support in a different way. I get over it by never wearing the same pair on two consecutive runs. I have two pairs of road shoes and two pairs of trail shoes and when I buy a new pair I alternate with the old ones, until they are retired. This breaks in new shoes and old muscles more gently.

2 likes

Oooh, an excuse for more retail therapy 😁

2 likes

My thoughts too!!! 👍🤣😂

As if you really need an excuse. I found (sic) a pair of new running shows I bought over two years ago, and since I had recently thrown out a pair of running shows, which after serving for 500+ miles as running shoes, then had a new job as everyday trainers, I said - these are my new everyday trainers - it felt sooooooooooo bad - not even to use them as running shoes first!

2 likes

Wasn’t it Lord Goldsmith who said that marrying his mistress created a vacancy? 🤔🤨He must have meant to say it about his running shoes 😂

That's great. The shoes should soon bed in. Yes, I was unnecessarily worried about not having the app on my runs but you're right, there's less pressure. Apart from my trail run where I felt I needed to hurry as it was getting late...my own mistake. 🤣

I think psychologically I ran to the countdown and so when it ended, I felt exhausted and couldn’t run a further step. Yet with no countdown, I just kept going til I finished the route! I know, I am odd!! 🤪

1 like

Not at all! We all have our odd little ways! 😂🤣😂

1 like

Phew!

1 like

I run until the countdown and feel the same sometimes. Thank goodness that it is over. I’m still short of running 5K and I have just graduated but I will keep at it. Slow and steady like Oldfloss says. 😀

1 like

Oh yes, slow and steady gets us there in the end!

1 like

You may also like...