Thoughts welcomed

Sorry in advance for the long post...

So we're to start...I had to put my c25k journey on hold at the end of July as I injured my calf. So I choose to give myself a complete week of no running to assist in the recovery.

Sadly as I was nearing the end of that week I caught laryngitis which lasted a week - I then developed bronchitis which took over two weeks to clear. I then hurt my back and have been seen a few times by the chiropractor who is happy with my recovery. My chiropractor has suggested that I try getting back on the running and suggested going back over the programme from were I feel comfortable.

Anyway the reason for my post is....how far back do you think I should go given that I've done no exercise since the end of July?!

All thoughts welcome. 😉😘

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Ooh a difficult one, I am a cautious bunny so I'd say why not try Week 2 intervals of 90 seconds and if you reach that easily, then skip to Week 3. It's difficult especially after you've had bronchitis. But aiming to do a 90 second interval shouldn't be too hard, but if it is then clearly your previous fitness has been seriously undermined. But you can always try and if it's a struggle listen to your body and take it from there.

Not sure that is much help?

• Thanks Jancanrun - I was thinking I'd go back to week 3 so your thoughts are very helpful.

I forgot to mention that I had reached the end of Week 7 before all of this started.

• Oh what a horrible time for the illness to have hit you then. Week 3 sounds like a good idea, because if it's too tough, you just rest earlier. Hope you get back in the swing again soon enough

• If you're very unsure you could go back to week 1. If that's fine move on to week 2 immediately, and continue like that until things get difficult. Then follow the programme from there. Good luck and well done for coming back!

• Well you were at the end of Week 6....so... maybe just head out...no time, distance or pressure... try a very gentle joggette and a walk.. see how you feel.. that will give you an idea of where you feel you would like to be:)

The danger with going too far back is that you may find you go too fast in the shorter run sections.. Week 4 would be my choice..but try a dip your toe in the water run first!

• Thanks everyone. I did it.... I decided to try W4R1 and almost completed it - just the last 5 minute run I really struggled with and did 2.5 minute run 1.5 walk and 1 run instead. I did find the whole thing quite hard but think I'll try it again in a couple of days and see if I find it any easier or if I need to go back further on the programme.

Fingers crossed 🤞none of my injuries flare back up now 😊

You may also like...