W8 R1 - cold butt

I was meant to start W8 on Saturday but packed so much into the day (Christmas stuff) that I just...didn't. So I am a couple of days behind where I should be.

However I cut out of a meeting early today deliberately to get my first W8 run in before it got dark at 4pm. I felt really motivated to get out there. It was -1 degree so I knew it was going to be a cold one.

My first go at 28mins.

I followed some advice here and parked in a different place in the park I go to (I am still not brave enough to go total cold turkey on public roads) so I changed my route slightly starting with the brisk walk up 40-odd steps to the top of a hill - which has a very gentle descent - as I thought that would be a good place to start the run to get through that dreaded first 5 mins. There's a lovely view from there too, although today the freezing fog obscured that.

I felt the time go swiftly today. After the descent I briefly go outside the park for a 3 min section on the pavement of a major road (eek) but its slightly downhill so I feel confident. Then an uphill section and I felt good as I hit this bit - knowing there was more downhill before the next slight rise - and I am halfway through!

I knew by how strong I felt that I was going to be able to do this 28 mins so I leaned back slightly and really concentrated on my breathing. This was my first 'listen' of the W8 music and I have to say the strong beat/rhythm of the last two tracks really helped me. Laura obviously picked them for that reason - I have to say I am not sure if I would have completed the full 28 mins without them as I ran and breathed in absolute time with the beats of the two songs. And I did it! With the feeling that I have something left in the tank!

I think I was slightly faster today and more in control. My legs feel worked and tired now, I definitely know I couldn't do that again tomorrow and be injury-free but I am chuffed to bits with today's progress.

The only thing is - it took about 2 hours for my bum to feel warm again.........:-D

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

10 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • I was getting a bit worried about the possibility of chilblains in an awkward place :-D so I now have some slightly warmer leggings. The coldest evening, though, I ended up wearing track suit trousers over my normal leggings!

• Did you have a cold nose too?! Glad your butt warmed up๐Ÿ˜€

• Yeay! You sound so much more confident than you used to. Well done you. xx

• Sounds like a well planned run which followed the script nicely :) Well done!

• Hi, we are at the same position in the program. I also did my r8w1 run yesterday, yes it was cold !!

• That sounds like a good run. What are you wearing to run in? I have thermo bottoms and a thermo running jacket which is long enough to cover my behind and I feel I need both at the moment (-5 here). No harm in wearing something warmer.

• I'm wearing Capri legging things. Plus hoody, cotton top, scarfs and hat. Don't think I can get thermo stuff in my size.

• Men's running gear maybe?

• Well done, great post, great run. You're doing so well. Enjoy the rest of your week! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

• Meh - you know what they say. 'Cold butt, Warm Heart' ;)

Seriously though - what a good run and write up! :) Thanks for sharing :)

You may also like...