I thought I would increase my distance a little πŸ‘€

I thought I would increase my distance a little πŸ‘€

Hi everyone,

So since graduating on the 18th March I've been doing 3 x 5k (or trying to do 3) a week. One week I only managed to get out once, and another week I only managed 2 runs.

Overall I'm happy enough but I'd started to get a bit bored of the same format every run.

So I came up with a plan. 

Tuesday's, extend the 5k by half a k or a full k each week with the aim of getting up to 10k.

Thursday's, a 30 minute speed run or one of the 5k+ podcasts

Saturday, Parkrun.

So with the plan in mind I set off yesterday in the glorious sunshine with the aim of increasing the distance. I slowed my pace right down and off I went. 

It was a revelation, with a lot slower pace I found I was a lot more comfortable in the run, 6k came, then 7k and I felt brilliant. By this time I was running out of route so I was formulating a cunning plan of where to run when I thought I may as well try to get to 10k....................and I did πŸ˜€

I still can't quite believe it and I didn't post yesterday because I was half convinced I would be crippled this morning, but I'm not πŸ˜€

So I'm over the moon, I think it was my most enjoyable run to date. I slowed my pace by a shade over a minute and a quarter per k, but I doubled my distance. I'm sure it's a slow time for a 10k but hey, it's a start. I'm also stunned I've gone from running 32/34 minutes non stop to 1 hour 17 minutes.

So I need a new plan for Tuesday's now πŸ˜€ I'm thinking do a couple of 10k's then gradually increase the distance to half marathon.

Happy running 

Bob

Last edited by
Skip

Promoted Content

Download NHS Couch to 5K

The Couch to 5K plan is available as a podcast and app (Apple and Google Play)

Learn more

Promoted by Couch to 5K

17 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Sounds good Bob! Well done! Just be careful doing the 10km often & trying to get to HM.. It's not that long since you graduated..😊

• Sound advice Dave thank you. 

I will listen to my body and rest accordingly if it starts to protest πŸ˜€

• Okay.. well that puts my 7 K yesterday, in its place! 

Well done you.... keep on running..:)

• Thanks Floss, 7k isn't just a walk in the park though πŸ˜€

• Good run B0bP time not to Shabby either , well done 

Be careful of increasing distance to quickly ,usually is approx 10% of your weekly mileage/km's.

Your body may need some extra downtime to recover . 

• Thanks Rob,

Well I only set out to increase the distance by a half or full k. I know I got carried away.

Thankfully the only part of my body that needed recovery was a slight case of joggers nipple!

• Ouch that can be painful 

• Brilliant! And yatesco take note please. This is how you do it.

• Thanks John

• Wow! Well done Bob, that is really impressive. Time for a new plan!

• Thanks Sky, I'm still buzzing a day later πŸ˜€

• Congratulations - that sounds like you had a great time as well.

• Cheers mate, yes I did.

Good luck on your last two runs of the programme.

• Aw Well done Bob ! Thats brilliant !

They say you never forget your first love, I would add to that by saying that you never forget your first 10k n'all , Ha ha ! :-) xxx

• Haha thanks PP x x

• Well done, great work. I would recommend giving the speed session a miss this week though and doing a gentle 5k recovery run instead. I always err on the side of following a  harder/longer than usual run with a couple of easy ones

• Thanks Rig,

I'm just about to head out now. I may just have an easy 30 minute run, or a gentle 5k.

You may also like...