New bling!

New bling!

So, it was the North London Half Marathon today! Well organised, and easy to get to, with a large car park right next to Wembley Stadium and the race village. Quite nippy, and I was really undecided about what to wear, but glad in the end to have decided on just a technical T shirt (as well as running bottoms!).

The race got off smoothly, but I discovered after a couple of miles that this course actually had hills! Quite a few, and they felt pretty steep and long. The course itself wasn't too inspiring, and there weren't a lot of spectators (I think I've been spoiled with the Oxford Half being my first introduction to half marathon running). On the way to the midpoint, a kenyan runner came haring the other way - he finished in 1:02! The midway point was the Allianz Arena, where Saracens play their rugby. We ran a lap around the pitch, with two big screens showing a list of runners (though I didn't see me) and video of us streaming through.

The run back was uneventful and a bit dull, and at times I felt I was struggling. More hills, too, especially one within a mile or so of the finish, which seemed mean. I found it hard in the middle of a race to push myself to keep running up a hill, and to feel really tired at the top and have to try to press on.

The finish was quite special, though. We ran around the side of Wembley and into a service tunnel. A couple of turns, and we were out pitchside, with on of the stands beside the finish line bursting with spectators. I managed to put on a bit of a spurt, but ultimately was a bit disappointed with my time of 2:20:54 (I did the Oxford half in 2:12:25), but I'm putting that doown to thos pesky hills!

So - my next half (the White Horse Half) is in two weeks time (I need my feet to recover!) and then a further four weeks after that is the Milton Keynes Half. Glutton for punishment or what?

Today's run -

16 Replies

• Congratulations on another HM Steve! 😀🏆 And I think you should be very pleased with that time, considering the hills! Wow! And another in two weeks time! I have to ask - when's the full marathon?!

• Don't tell anyone, but I'm starting to seriously think about going for it next year!

• Don't tell anyone, but I would seriously be surprised if you didn't! 😉

• Well done Steve. Considering the hills, it's a great time.

Good luck for the White Horse and MK 1/2s.

• Thanks, Phil! At least they are both supposedly flat!

• Wow congratulations,

It sounds like your clocking up some serious miles.

• Yes, I've been going on long runs with clubmates each Sunday - at least 10 or 11 miles, sometimes as far as 14.5 miles. It helps take the anxiety out of wondering if I can complete a half.

• Brilliant time there... I would be very happy with that time... don't be disapointed!!

• Wahey ! Absolutely fantastic Steve !

Well done ! Oh what a brilliant experience to run at Wembley , you wont forget this one for sure :-)

Massive Congratulations to you and heres to the next one !

Thats some serious bling n'all, another one to the evergrowing collection :-) xxx

• Well done Steve! It's so much harder when there are few supporters to cheer the runners on, it makes it a grind in places especially in the less scenic bits. It's such a lift when someone does give you a shout out ☺

Wembley stadium no less! Wow! ☺

You have a lot on! Take care! Nag, nag 😊

• I'll be taking care, MW, don't want an injury!

• Wow Steve youre really packing in your HMs this year!😊 that is a good time with all those hills, and love the shirt and medal! Congratulations! 😆

• Thanks, Ali. I started the year with the intention of lots of halves - they just seem to have arrived like buses!

• Congratulations. Are you targeting a half in every English county? ☺☺☺☺

Love the goodies. Well done and good luck for the others

• Curlygurly2 ,  I found it ! :-) xxx

• Well done PP, thank you! xx

You may also like...