Calf/Achilles pain

I completed w2r2 with pain in my calf/ Achilles had a rest day and could only manage 1 run of w2r3 and had to walk painfully and very slowly home. I could hardly walk the next day going downstairs was difficult although going up stairs less difficult. Things like driving didn't prove a problem at all. Some days were worse than others and I decided to not run (I couldn't really) that was nearly 2 weeks ago. Yesterday as the pain seemed to have settled down so I decided to walk briskly for 1/2 hr which I managed but if I started to lightly jog I had sharp pain again. Any ideas or thoughts.

Although I only managed to W2 I was really enjoying myself and the sense of achievement

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I started Couch to 5K last Spring with my son in law... like you at about week 3 in the programme, I suffered discomfort in my left Achilles tendon..( hobbled home). it escalated until I could not walk without terrific pain. Having torn my right Achilles tendon..( falling accident) it really worried me!

I had to abandon the programme which I was really enjoying, and it was quite a few weeks before the problem was sorted. I used the exercises from the Physio, that I had been given when I damaged my right foot! The bit where you mention going upstairs and discomfort rings warning bells with me.

I did not carry on with the programme, and then in October, ( a house move later!) I started the whole thing again...from the beginning...on my own this time. I made sure I warmed up properly, plenty of strengthen and flex exercises ( link on Couch to 5K site) in conjunction with the runs, on my non run days. My shoes were bought and worn round the house until I was really comfy in them... ( I always break all my shoes in.. weird I know).

I graduated the week before Christmas...no problems, except an odd twinge..( I am 65 !) I made sure I followed Laura to the letter. Since graduation I have been doing the couch to 5K+ podcasts and so far so good!

Don't know if this helps at all. but please take care... sounds very like my experience. I think I just did not warm up properly, pulled something on the trails we were running, or just went at it the wrong way..not sure, but the approach taken when I started again seemed to work for me.

There will be loads of advice from folk on here for you anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes..?:)

• Thanks so much that really really helps am so gutted as my 1/2 hour out and about was fantastic and I'm getting worried that I will never get there again but you've really helped with your story Thanks again

• You're very welcome... don't despair..just take it steady, and you will be fine!

• Yep I've been there! Rested for 8weeks but now it's great. Ice it regularly...I still ice after every run and do eccentric calf raises 15 X twice a day ( you tube it) they really work. Good luck and don't start running until u can use the stairs pain free.

• Again thanks I was starting to worry Id never get back there

• The advice here is all good. I'd add that my Achilles hates...

* hard flat surfaces (Tarmac, paving slabs)

* soft/dry sand

* when I don't do strength and stretching stuff

* steep hills if it's already twingeing

...but loves...

* trails

* heel drops

* when I'm strong and therefore run with decent form and don't wallop my feet around in desperate exhaustion!

* even more heel drops.

You may also like...