Treadmill to road

Well I have done couch 25K on the treadmill, then when I went out to run on the road, I just couldn't do it. The road is SOO much harder, so I have started the podcasts again from week 1 on the road. I want to go out and run, not stuck on a machine in the house (I work from home so need to get out more!).

So the first run absolutely killed me, but I am just totally unfit (doing this job I suppose).. and I think because I didn't stretch afterwards my muscles hurt so much for days afterwards I couldn't go out again that week. So I started again, and it was a lot easier (I did lots of stretching). I am now on week 3 - I am absolutely loving it. But my question is this. It's not exactly flat where I do running, it starts off a steady uphill then a long downhill, when I know I am half way through a podcast I head back up the massive hill.. it's really the only way I can run from where I live. Am I best to stick to running like this or when I do my longer runs, is it best to do it on a more flat ground?

Thanks for reading, I am determined to get there this time, I have a holiday to Florida booked and I want to be fit, not fat when I get there - only 13lbs to go! :-D

4 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • I did C25K on the treadmill for a week, then went outside, mostly on grass but also Tarmac. It is more challenging outside but just relax and get used to it, in fact I would only go back to a treadmill if there was a blizzard blowing now, the air is fresh and I sweat less, can breathe well and it is much more interesting, I can even run in different places - fields, woods, country tracks so it is like exploring. The time goes faster too, plenty of distractions. Julie

• Well done or getting out of the door! Stick to your hilly route, the hard work will pay off.

I am in a similar situation, no flat routes unless I drive to the rugby pitch... so I did all the program on an ondulating route ... and just before the turning point there is an incline that even seasoned runners do huffing and panting :)

Hills can be hard, but your legs will look fab!!

• You've done c25k on the treadmill so you can do it outside. Hills will be a problem at first but stick with it and you will be stronger for it. I didn't and hills terrify me. Outside is so much better in the long term.

• Hey thanks guys, yes I totally agree - it's so much better running outdoors. I am going to stick with the program, even though I found week 1 horrendous (it has been about a year since I did the C25K on the treadmill!) I am finding week 3 an absolute breeze - maybe I was just having a good day but it is a shorter week, only four runs in total, whereas week 1 was 8 runs but I know it's to increase stamina. I can't wait until I can do the full 30 mins and increase from there. We have some woodland not too far away so I will be able to run from my house, and then around the lake, it will be fantastic - it's beautiful down there.

Thanks again, :-)

You may also like...