What Doctors say and what Runners hear

Google Translate should have an option for Runnerese in general actually. Certainly I have noted that:

Runner: "I'm going for a midfoot strike in my new zero drop Salomons and hoping to PR while staying in zone 3" translates to anyone who is not a runner as "Blablablablablablabla."

Similarly, when a Doctor says "You definitely should not run or do any strenuous exercise", what this actually means in Runner language is "You definitely should not lt your wife find out if you run or do any exercise."

Which is eminently sensible advice. It is also sensible to get some fresh air regularly when you are poorly, so I went out for a little walk this afternoon. A fairly brisk walk, as it turned out. At, erm, 5.56 pace.

I may have been a little economical with truth about the distance I covered when I got home.

16 Replies

• brilliant, I am sure it did you the world of good...

• Hahaha nice one Rig! I can understand where you're coming from x :-)

• Naughty !

• Naughty Rignold !! but very understandable :)

• Bad man but good for you and nice pace too.

• Tut tut ;)

• Very sneaky! but sounds like you are recovering which is good news :)

• sounds like a nice walk just to get you slightly breathless - a huge amount of health benefits to be gained

• Bad bunny!

• Good for you Rigs, glad to hear youre up and about xxx

Our lips are sealed dont worry, we wont say a word to Mrs Rigs :-D xxx

• only time I have been out in over three weeks. Won't be making a habit of it until I am properly better but, y'know, sometimes you just have to.

• We get it Rigs , it mustve felt so good to be out in the fresh air xxx

• I hear you. I fell down the stairs earlier this week and promised myself light runs. Somehow that translated into a 7km today. Hehe it was slow though. Happy healing.

• Tis a brave man who defies the word of his wife......or doctor for that matter. Hope it was pain free.......

• Naughty Rig! I bet she knew anyway...

• My husband always says it is easier to get forgiveness than permission....

You may also like...