Are you an Asthmatic runner? Post your tips here to help others please

I have read so many blogs people have posted saying they are asthmatic so perhaps those who also suffer could post some tips so we can help each other:-

1. Doctor's instructions for me is take two puffs of my Ventolin before I go for a run, also to carry it with me. Common sense perhaps but its not a bad thing to be reminded to carry it.

2. Winter time when the air is very cold (Australians/NZs take note just now) I wear a Buff around my mouth and nose to keep the cold air out until I have got used to it, this really does help.

Hope other asthmatics and runners add to this, we are after all a caring sharing bunch of happy runners :)

4 Replies

• i have exercise induced asthma, i take my ventolin before exercise and it helps, though pollen and heat do make its worse

• Yeh GingerJue these warmer days can make breathing harder, some plants make my eyes itch and water but Oil Seed Rape just about kills me its a bad one for asthmatics and hay fever sufferers, it looks so pretty too.

• I've never suffered before but this summer I am really wheezing at the end of a run. My practice nurse suggested taking an anti-histamine before I go out, and also gave me a ?spacer? (I think that's what it's called) that my ventolin puffs into - apparently you get more of the active ingredient this way than if you use your inhaler directly into your mouth. I was still very wheezy this morning though :(

• I have found that my breathing has definitely improved since running. However the other day I was so wheezy as there was the dreaded rape seed and lots of grass seed flying about. I really struggled. I think glasses would help for that??

You may also like...