Week 7 R1 - Legs heavy but 3k event done

Got through my 3k event on Sat fine. I was also supporting a friend who has been having much more of a struggle with breathing and injury but ran 3k straight through with no walking for the first time so the congratulations go to her. I'd actually already done Week 6 R3 which was 25 min straight so sort of spoilt my victory lap a wee bit, but she says she'd have not done it all without my encouragement so I guess that's my victory. The terrain made a difference as she'd be used to either a treadmill or paths, and we had wood chips, long grass, freshly cut grass, all sorts to deal with. Nice to have people there cheering for us though. Made it a lot easier for me. Plus we raised loads of money, so that's awesome (did I mention that I'm also in a choir and sang just before and just after the event? Are we a bit bonkers? maybe.... ;-) )

Now I'm focusing on getting to the end of the program, then to 5k, then to 5k in about 40 mins so I can go to a parkrun and not be sheepish (although I should go anyway, to encourage other slow coaches shouldn't I? - no one wants to be last though, do they?) I'm between 7:30 per km and 8:00 per km at the moment, not sure if I will sustain that right through to 5k though? We shall have to see.

The legs are my problem right now. My breathing was the first problem, back before week 4 ish. I was fighting for breath almost all the way through, and although my heart rate is still high (Average 165-180, max 180-190 (!) ) my breathing is a lot lot better. Now it's the calves and ankles feeling achey and tired from about 5 mins. I haven't been doing strength and flex consistently so I think that would help. Ironically, I didn't sign up for ballet this term because I was training for this event, but I bet that would have helped my calves and ankles no end!

Onwards and sideways. I guess I knew I would make it this far as I have the event in mind, but now I'm on the breeze I need to focus on that parkrun to keep me in the game I think. can't wait to sign up for parkrun under the proud NHS C25K banner!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

oldestnewest

You may also like...