I Have Minor Rectal Bleeding, Any Tho... - Colon Cancer Conn...

Colon Cancer Connected

5,387 members660 posts

I Have Minor Rectal Bleeding, Any Thoughts?

UJ15
UJ15

Hello, My First Rectal Bleeding Was om Dec24,2020. Got Checked by our Family doctor Jan8. Stool Exam Results said it was Completely Normal. My Age is 15, Height is 5'7 and Weight is 55kg. I still Have Rectal Bleeding. But, It is not a Very Large Amount. It is Bright Red and Sometimes It Bleeds and Coats the Stool and Sometimes it Dont.

9 Replies

This is a Picture of my Stool

UJ15
UJ15 in reply to UJ15

This One Too, You Can See a Little Rid on the Left

Hi... My situation isn’t much different from yours. I’m 16 years old, 5 ft 2 and 53 kg in weight. I am being treated for anxiety and thought I was just freaking out when I first found blood in my stool about six months ago. I never went to the doctor because I knew they would think I was overreacting or being dramatic. Around about the 12th of January, I got sick. Fever, night sweats, lightheadedness... it lasted three weeks and I rarely left my room. About 10 days into that period of time, I had the worst cramps; I knew the consistency of my stools had changed. Today, when I got home from work, I didn’t need the bathroom at all so I just came up to my room to sort a few things out. 20 minutes or so later and I’m literally doubled over in pain, desperate for the bathroom. My stool was laced in possibly the worst amount of blood it ever has been and I’m now really worried... My doctor isn’t the understanding type and my anxiety works well at silencing me when I try to bring up serious things. So I don’t know how to speak up to get testing...

I truly hope you find a solution to your problem and this is going to sound weird but keep a kind of diary in your notes; rating consistency, pain between one and five (if you feel any) and amount of blood between one and five based on your previous results. I find that children and teenagers don’t seem to be taken as seriously in these situations and a diary might help them see your side of the picture.

Ohh Sorry to Hear That, My Rectal Bleeding doesn't do Anything. I Can Still do Everything Normally, No Weakness at All. But, I always get Sad and Nervous. Is It Anxiety?

It’s ok; I just never thought I’d find anyone on here around my age and you were the first to show up. It could be anxiety; although I wouldn’t be too sure because my anxiety doesn’t necessarily just affect my mood, it affects my movements too. However, anxiety definitely causes a lot of sadness for me. I can’t do the things other people my age could do without a second thought and as for nervousness, it depends on the levels. Some nervousness is normal. It’s when the nervousness affects normal activities in your day to day life, when it could be anxiety

When Anxiety first Hit me, I suddenly became Very Tired For 2 Days. But I hear my Friends all the Time at Discord, Their Laughs Cheer me Up. I suddenly become Better. But, Nervousness is Still There. So, Cheer Up Friend :)) We can Overcome This Challenge

Nicole_GCCA
Nicole_GCCAAdministrator in reply to Bluerosewaterlily

Bluerosewaterlily - one more comment - that is really great that you are getting treatment for your anxiety. I hope that you are able to find some relief from anxiety through therapy, medication, practicing techniques you learn in therapy, etc.

One thing you said really stuck out to me - being that the anxiety can silence you as you are going to bring something up to the doctor. That's where I think your journal can come in handy, as well as writing out all the questions/comments you want to discuss with your doctor. A really effective way to get questions answered and feedback on what you share with your doctor is to actually type up everything you want to discuss and then print a copy for the doctor as well. Also some people are better at expressing themselves via written word, so it may be worth a shot.

Thanks again and we hope you'll continue to work to get the tests you need to determine if there is an issue that needs to be dealt with. If you are continuing to have bleeding, there are many ointments, prescriptions, and even surgical procedures to treat the many causes of rectal bleeding. (for example for hemmroids or anal fissures (small tears in the anus), ulcers, etc.

Please keep us updated

~Nicole, GCCA Staff Member & Colon Cancer Connected Site Administrator.

Just a reminder - this group is here to offer support, share experiences, and offer our thoughts - but this is not medical advice, and you should always consult your medical professional(s). Additionally, for all emergencies, seek urgent medical care, never delay.

Nicole_GCCA
Nicole_GCCAAdministrator in reply to Bluerosewaterlily

Hi Bluerosewaterlily ,Thanks so much for sharing and I'm really sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation as UJ15 .

The GI system really doesn't like it when we get stressed out - many people see that their symptoms get worse or they get new symptoms when they are having anxiety.

I was sorry to read that you didn't go to the doctor because you didn't think your concerns would be taken seriously - then fast forward to a medical issue where you were in severe pain, and you still were not taken seriously! Are you able to seek out a second opinion? Switch doctors?

For some reason, many of us tend to stick with doctors that aren't a good fit for us. But the truth is, if you don't feel that your concerns are being taken seriously... then that isn't a good fit.

Are you actively seeing blood in your stool? A stool test is a very inexpensive test and doctors are typically open to having patients of all ages utilize these tests. It is often the colonoscopy that can be challenging if the doctor does not share your level of concern.

Your suggestion of a diary is spot on. It is really helpful for the doctor to spot a pattern and many people who have GI issues find that with careful notes they are able to spot a pattern - particularly with specific foods that either are causing issues, or foods that are tolerated well.

Please don't give up in seeking out tests as well as a doctor that you can have a positive doctor-patient relationship with.

Thank you again for sharing. We have many members who are readers and not sharers (which is fine) but I really appreciate you jumping in and sharing your story particularly as you are both the same age.

Please give an update when you can - and know that this site is here for you and that you are not alone.

Just a reminder - this group is here to offer support, share experiences, and offer our thoughts - but this is not medical advice, and you should always consult your medical professional(s). Additionally, for all emergencies, seek urgent medical care, never delay.

Nicole_GCCA
Nicole_GCCAAdministrator

Hi UJ15 ,Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry this is causing you so much anxiety.

This site does not offer medical advice, but we are here to share our experience and offer our advice, but it should not replace speaking to your doctor. It is pretty hard to tell from a photo what's going on unless the blood is very obvious, (you'll see lots of pics on this forum with lots of blood)... It can be hard to tell if something is blood or sometimes it is actually pieces of food, but again, we can't tell from a photo and we also can't diagnose.

Are you seeing blood on the tissue paper? Or is it only in the stool?

Did your doctor do a physical exam or just the stool test?

When you experience blood in the stool, the doctor will often perform a DRE (digital rectal exam) where they will both look and feel with their gloved fingers, to see if an any anal fissure (tears in the anus), hemorrhoids, or something else that could be causing the bleeding. Depending on the DRE results, any symptoms you are experiencing, and age, your doctor will determine if further tests need to be performed.

Depending on the type of stool test that was performed, they do have a pretty high rate of being effective at detecting blood in the stool.

When you had the stool test done, were you seeing blood in your stool in the days leading up to the test?

There are many reasons for blood in the stool, some are very treatable with medication, diet change, and minor procedures, and of course, there are more serious reasons for blood in the stool as well. For that reason, we always advise patients to seek medical care when they have blood in the stool.

We've heard from individuals who have rectal bleeding, that if they get a physical exam from the doctor while not actively bleeding (within the last day or so), that sometimes the doctors have had a hard time identifying where the blood was coming from. We have heard that doctors tell patients "if you were bleeding today I would be able to see where it is coming from." If this is the case, I would recommend discussing with the doctor a plan for when you are actively bleeding - is it possible to have a note in your file and that they squeeze you in when you are next actively bleeding.

If your doctor did NOT do a DRE and examine you physically, I would suggest either contacting this doctor again to discuss further or seeking a second opinion from another doctor.

It is frustrating when you feel that something is wrong and you are being told that there is nothing wrong.

If you are able to also share your concerns with your parents, maybe they can help advocate on your behalf. Unfortunately sometimes when you are younger your health concerns may be dismissed. Another thought would be, if you do have a good relationship with your current doctor, is to be honest that this is really concerning you and that even though the stool test results came back normal, that you are still seeing blood and it is really stressing you out. Sometimes sharing how your current situation is impacting your stress levels may offer an opportunity for a discussion on any further tests/examinations that can be done.

Please consider talking to your parents/a trusted adult about either seeking a second opinion or an additional visit with your current doctor.

Keep us posted and we're here for you!

You may also like...