Latest appointment at the lipid clinic had me badgering my consultant about IMT scanning. I won't be getting one as there is no funding for it in Lothian and my consultant says it's of little benefit anyway. After this I managed to persuade him to have my Lp(a) levels checked. He wasn't keen as it's not a routine test, therefore, I presume expensive. Anyway, my blood is winging it's way to a lab in Glasgow to be done. Yippee! Unfortunately my cholesterol level has gone up to 7.1 from my previous test of 5.6. Not sure why, still taking 40mg atorvastatin and no changes to my diet - disappointing. Have had the kids to their consultant. She doesn't seem too happy because I am still not agreeing to puttting them on statins. She says if I am not prepared to put them on statins then there is no point in her seeing them again! She admitted that where my children lead others will follow as they are her only 2 patients with FH so I feel they are being used as guinea pigs. I would just prefer to hold off statins until after puberty but she disagrees and says the earlier the better is the way to go. Will never be sure what is the best thing to do.
Content on HealthUnlocked does not replace the relationship between you and doctors or other healthcare professionals nor the advice you receive from them.