Diagnosed high cholesterol : I have just... - Cholesterol Support

Cholesterol Support

8,873 members β€’ 2,537 posts

Diagnosed high cholesterol

PASTRYMAKER
PASTRYMAKER
β€’5 Replies

I have just been informed by my doc my cholesterol level is 6.5 in January 2021. Ive had a finger prick test done to check it again this week and uts 7.2 I've checked all the products I buy to makesure that the saturated fats are low to med since the doctor informed me and its still gone up why would that be πŸ˜’

5 Replies
β€’

It's a good idea to provide lab results of cholesterol with other lipids that are usually tested, along with the lab ref. ranges... incase members want to offer opinions. πŸ––πŸ»

Thanks 😊

Hi PASTRYMAKER,

I hear your frustration.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

We are here to support but your doctor should be your first line of communication.

Take a look at the food choices, eliminate red meats and sausages, bacon etc.

If you labs are good, discuss diet changes to more fruits and vegetables, egg whites and lean chicken. Beans are a great source of protein and process easier. I am also a label reader.

Ask about possible supplements such as Omega 3 Fish oil, Garlique, Sunflower Lecithin and possibly plant sterols?

It can't hurt.

My cholesterol is normal with diet changes and supplements.

We are all different - what is good for one person, may not be good for another.

I would write down what you are eating and bring it in for discussion.

Stay positive and please reach back and let us know what he/ she says.

Bet

sos007
sos007Ambassador

Simple carbohydrates, such as sugar and white flour products raise blood sugar and create inflammation within your endothelium (inner lining of your arteries) that require an immune response by your body.

This response results in increased production of cholesterol by your liver which is used by your body to repair the damage in your endothelium. This is an over-simplification of the process but it gives you the idea of what's going on.

Dietary consumption of fats play a limited role in your blood cholesterol levels as your liver produces 75% of the cholesterol in your body. So focusing solely on dietary fat reduction will have limited benefits.

'Don't shoot the messenger' - the medical community have taught us to vilify cholesterol, however, this is like calling a paramedic who arrives at the scene of a car accident to help the victims a criminal. Cholesterol is simply your body's response to inflammation or damage in your body.

Cholesterol values are used by the medical community as an indicator that there's a problem, but the problem is not cholesterol, it is the dietary and lifestyle behaviour that is causing the inflammation.

Your dietary steps to put out the flame of inflammation is to eliminate sugar and simple carbohydrates from your diet. Easier said then done, I know, but this is how I resolved my heart disease.

I encourage you to read my pinned post located either to the right side of this page or at the bottom if you're on a mobile device, 'How I Conquered Heart-Disease and What I Have Learned in the Process'.

I also recommend watching this 14 minute video: youtu.be/ZSpB-j5DL9E

As SOS has said cholesterol may be the marker of a problem but not the maker of the problem. So many who don't have an interest in Pharma or food companies and make judgments based on good evidence not poor epidemiology , don't have a problem with cholesterol. And those who still push the cholesterol myth are now saying that high LDL does not tell us anything , what counts is the LDL particle size- small is a problem . And the interesting thing is those who are on no sugar , low carb - focus on insulin - fat does not affect insulin - may be getting higher LDL numbers , but their particles are the safe big size and not the risky small size. I try to follow the basic rules of good eating , no processed food , low carb , no sugar , get your carbs from vegetables , eat nutrient dense food - counter intuitive after years of being brainwashed - eggs, dairy - if you don't have a problem , meat - not processed , fish , vegetables etc - don't count calories

You may also like...