Care Community
4,101 members762 posts

Bad day

Just back from glaucoma check up, consultant wants to do drainage surgery within the next month, 18/12 ago I was told I'd be having surgery, pressures sorted themselves, this time last year more probs, was going to have drainage surgery, the surgery I asked to have I wasn't suitable for but the next day I was which is something I've never got to grips with, I don't want surgery due to all this but she's given me a week to decide what I want to do, my first option is to walk away, but she would do it to save my vision, I was born with glaucoma, treated for it for 40 yrs, and I've lived my life knowing I could lose my vision, and right now I don't know what to do for the best, I've just rung and left a message for GP, she's fully booked today with messages so I won't be able to speak with her until Monday, any suggestions on what to do will be gratefully received (she's also on about me having a cornea graft although the cornea consultant is ok with me walking away from a graft), she also wants me to have the cataract in other eye done but having a cataract done has led to this problem!!!

3 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Jennnmary, thanks for your post. I can understand why you are so nervous about having the drainage eye surgery, it is a big decision to make and hopefully you will receive some good advice on this caring community, to help you decide. You must do what is best for you, but if there was even a slight chance of haltering your vision to become even poorer, then perhaps you need to check this out, Perhaps having that appointment with your GP ,might help you to make that decision, and weighing up the pros and cons, for and against it may help. Try though be guided by what the hospital say as they are the experts in eye care. Also, while you have had your condition all your life, you could perhaps find out if there's the chance however small that your sight could improve with the surgery. Also think about what you want done or if you are really against the surgery, let your doctor know, as in time to come you may feel a bit different about the surgery than you do now. Do let us know how you get on, take care and kind regards, all best wishes to you........

Reply

Hi Jennymary

What a dilemma for you. Ultimately it would have to be your choice as to which way to go, but I'll just tell you what I'd do. I'd put my faith in the consultant who wants to do the surgery. Treatments and surgery aren't usually offered with hugely bad odds, unless it's a life and death situation, so you can be sure there are odds of this being successful.

Sometimes I think we have to adopt a 'what will be, will be' attitude when trying to make up our minds on something tricky, otherwise we drive ourselves mad going over and over our options and still not coming up with an answer that is definitely going to work for us.

You have a week to consult your GP, before making up your mind so just set up an appointment for when you can to discuss what he or she thinks about it, but always remember that even your GP can't really decide for you. This is one of those moments we all get in life, where a decision's needed with no guaranteed outcome and you just have to take a leap of faith and go one way or the other. Very best wishes with whatever your decision turns out to be.

Reply

Hi Jenny

So sorry that you are having a bad time.

If it’s any consolation, my niece had glaucoma surgery and no longer needs glasses, as her vision has greatly improved.

Hopefully, you can come a satisfactory decision after discussion with the powers that be.

I wish you all the best.

Reply

You may also like...