Waiting to find out the prognosis for restrictive lung disease caused by severe scoliosis

Thanks to thorough investigation by an asthma consultant, I've finally been told I don't have asthma (unless really mild) but I do have restrictive lung disease. The latter comes as no surprise to me as i have had reduced lung capacity since I was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 13. What I do find alarming is that I've been told I 'm likely to develop respiratory failure and pulmonary hypertension. I've had a tough few years being heavily medicated for a nasty autoimmune disease pemphigus vulgaris. Luckily that's now in remission. It's been a struggle and I was hoping for better health but it seems unlikely now. I'm like a cat with 9 lives. I seem to have used up a few recently. I would appreciate any advice on how to keep a sensible perspective and how to speed up care? So far this diagnosis has taken about 18 months (I was mistakenly treated for asthma for 25/30 years!). I want to find out what I can do to have the best quality of life. I'm open to your suggestions.

Skip

Featured Content

HealthUnlocked Health Blogger Awards

Which blog about caring inspires or helps you?

Vote now

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi SuzyKB. I noticed that you haven't had a response to your post. Unfortunately I have no experience with what you are going through so I'm not sure I can be of assistance, I just wanted to comment to say that I have read your post and offer a shoulder...

You haven't given much detail on what care you may need, perhaps it would be worth speaking to someone from your local council's adult social services to see if you can get a care assessment to find out what is available and what fits your situation?

• Thank you for taking the time and thought to reply.

I'm seeing an experienced consultant soon so I should get some help if needed. This should make a huge difference. I've had some challenging health issues since 2012, having led a pretty healthy life until then. I just thought I'd worked my way through that and come out the other side in one piece when this latest diagnosis gave me quite a shock. I feel tired of struggling with my health. I've received tremendous medical care for which I'm profoundly grateful but it involves lots of time and energy. In the last week I've been referred to the wrong clinic, had potentially important test results delayed by a month and had difficulties getting a repeat prescription in time. It's hard work! Having a rant on a website like this is a chance to let off steam so please don't take it to heart on my behalf.

I've got a local meditation group which is totally brilliant. It does help me a lot. I recommend sahaja meditation to anyone who's stressed about their health.

• It sounds like a mental challenge as well as a physical one. I hope you are taking some time to look after your general wellbeing too.

I'm glad you are receiving some support and I hope the consultant can provide some assistance.

Good luck :)

You may also like...