British Liver Trust

Aspartame (Artificial sugar) and liver enzymes??

just had a crazy thought and i want to run it by the great people here before i ask my doctor......

my liver enzymes were high in the past but calmed down. then they started spiking this past september. i am trying to wrack my brain why (i don't drink) and i finally realized the following-does this make any sense???

at the end of august i started getting free meals where i work and i would have breakfast every day. at breakfast every day i drink a cup of tea with three packets of artificial sweetener [i'm not from the UK-sorry to offend anyone by doing this]. i then would do this also on the weekends with say 2-3 cups over 2 days, each time with 3 packets.

Is it loony to think that the consumption of all this artificial sweetener would have an effect on my liver enzymes?

thanks!

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I would avoid anything artificial and even processed sugar. I have chronic liver disease and avoid all animal products, sugar (I have natural sugar in fruit or a little maple syrup) white flours and even strong cleaning chemicals.

1 like

fatisfun.com/?p=220 I just found this. Worrying!

1 like

Thanks! very interesting.

1 like

Thank you for sharing.

1 like

I’ve read that artificial sweeteners are very bad for the liver

1 like

Thanks. Looking at stevia as a replacement sweetener.

You may also like...