British Liver Trust
13,733 members6,767 posts

Just diagnosed with hepatitis c

Hi all I'm a male 43 years young just been diagnosed with hepatitis c got my first appointment Wednesday scared out of my wits cus I don't know what to expect anyone help.

13 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Steve,

I felt shellshocked late last year when given the Hep C diagnosis.

Having waited what felt like an eternity I had my first appointment in December.

I went as a complete bag of nerves,a bit like naughty kid to the head teacher,but was quickly reassured by a lovely woman who explained that the first step was to do more blood tests to check again the viral load plus what genotype I have (I didn't know there were more than one until then) as treatments vary accordingly.She then explained I would also have a fibroscan along with abdo ultrasound.Had those done in January and am due to see her again in a few weeks to go through results and treatment plan.

So I can't give you a whole lot of advice but just letting you know I'm going through similar and when the shock wears off its not all that bad or scary especially as the folk on here are all wonderful and have been through just about everything so their advice is golden.

Take care and wish you all the best on Wednesday.

4 likes

Hi Steve ... I was diagnosed just before Christmas so know exactly how you feel. Don't be scared. It can be completely cured. I have just reached the end of my diagnosis so it was really fast too. If you have any more questions, fire away.

Sue

2 likes

Thanks Sue I'm worried about the course of drugs I've got to have and what side affects the give and how it will impact on my life

The nurse in the Hep department was VERY reassuring and positive. I'm guessing that it will depend on the stage of advancement of the virus which treatment is offered but my understanding is that the treatment is not too invasive so, normal life should be possible. As you point out it depends on side effects but we both need to keep our fingers crossed there ...

2 likes

Are you in the uk?

Yep in UK ...

Hi I've got to go to the qe in Birmingham for my treatment I'm really scared

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

The British Liver Trust have a publication on Hepatitis C that you may find useful to read;

britishlivertrust.org.uk/wp...

We hope you find this forum a supportive place to visit,

Warm wishes

Rebecca

4 likes

Thanks Rebecca much appreciated

1 like

Hello Steve. I just want to say go with it and ask question after question. Write them down so you know what to ask. Research and go online and get as much information as you can. If you are not happy with the response you get then say. This is about you and your health and wellbeing. Look after YOURSELF and don't be afraid. I was but not now. Good luck.

2 likes

Hi I was diagnosed late April n still not started treatment I was wondering if this is normal ?

Hi tracy, yes it is quite normal to have to wait, I had to wait 18 months, but my husband only waited 3 wks from first seeing the team!! I've successfully finished my treatment and no longer have hepatitis c & my husband starts his meds treatment next week, hope this helps x

Hi, I'm Julie, I had hepatitis c for a lot of yes & was never treated! After blood tests etc I was asked if I'd like a 3 month treatment course to try & get rid of it! I said "yes please" I had quite a long wait but eventually got my meds! I had regular blood tests whilst on the meds to see how well they were working & only 2 wks after starting the treatment my blood results came back saying HCV undetected!! Finished rest of course & still undetected, so if you get offered meds for it I would advise you to jump on it, side effects can be tough going at times but well worth sticking to it for the 3 months!! If I can do it so can you!! Keep me posted & try not to worry!

You may also like...