Anyone had a liver from a donor with h... - British Liver Trust

British Liver Trust

22,123 members11,528 posts

Anyone had a liver from a donor with hepatitis C?


My partner has been asked if he would be willing to take one. The hep C if it does come across with the transplant can be cured with a tablet course 99 percent o& the time, says our leaflet.

Anyone with any experience of this?

Thanks Sophie

11 Replies

They are obviously trying to increase the donor pool, if there is a near guarantee that the Hep C infected liver can be cured with the treatment without it causing any major issue to the recipient that's a liver being used that would otherwise have been rejected. No doubt they wouldn't transplant the liver is it was already damaged by the virus.

There was a member several years ago on here who was transplanted due to Hep C - his donor liver was also Hep C infected but not damaged and then they treated the Hep C. He wasn't posting for very long so don't know what the outcome was.

Obviously there is going to be that minor risk that the Hep C doesn't clear but there is probably a more urgent risk of not being transplanted in time. A question of weighing up pros and cons.

All the best, Katie

Hi Sophie.

As Katie says it is a question of weighing up the pros and cons.

I knew that I would not have long to live without a new liver and so I chose not to refuse any liver that could be offered to me.

I put my life completely in the hands of the liver transplant specialists. They have our best interests as their priority and they wouldn't offer a liver with any virus that they didn't think that they could treat post transplant.

My donor had the CMV virus, I was negative for CMV.

After transplant I was treated with medication for the virus and I have been fine.

There is no guarantee that this will always be the case but if I were to get the virus I would be treated for it as some forum members have been.

Had I decided to decline some types of liver then in my view I would have been lessening my chances of transplant.

In my case, I thought it was better to take the chance of receiving a liver with a virus than chance facing the alternative.

I hope that this is of some help to you.

All the very best to you both.


Sophie, my husband was transplanted recently. He was asked the same question. We choose to let the decision be made by the surgeons. It's not in their interests to transplant a Liver than they feel is not treatable post op if it is required. We also felt that we didn't want to limit the potential donor pool, as he was very ill. We were lucky he was transplanted within 5 days.

As Kate and Alf have said it is a case of weighing up potential risks vs benefit. For us it was a no brainer, the thought of potentially missing a new liver for a treatable virus, was not an option.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your advice. It’s been very thoughtfully put across, and balanced Andy is going to say yes.

How long had your husband been on the list Robbie21?

Thanks again


Another question Robbie 21, was your husbands liver one with hep c therefore the fast availability?

And I hope your husband is doing really well. Being so poorly for a long time is so tough.


Hi Sophie,

My husband received his transplant within 5 days of being activated on the list. He had 3 calls within 3 days. He was very lucky as he was so so ill at that time, but we never expected to be transplanted so quickly. It was a real rollercoaster of a time. But he's home doing well. Going to take a long time to rehab due to muscle loss etc pre tp. But so thankful for the opportunity, we were very fortunate he got a DBD whole liver with no issues as far as we know.

But at that point we would have taken what ever liver was offered. It is worth pointing out how diligent the surgeons are. On the 1st and 2nd aborted calls there were issues with the livers viability upon 2nd examination, so they didn't progress. Whilst at the time it was disappointing, it was reassuring that they had my husband's best interests at heart.

It's a stressful time for you and your husband. Take faith that you have a specialist team to help you make decisions.

Keep strong x

Hi just read your post in just want to say the best of luck to your husband and to you hes lucky to have such a caring partner I'm sure things will work out I was transplanted because of that awful virus 2 and a half years ago which I knew I had for over 20 years .the treatment they use to clear it worked but the damage was done anyway the treatment is very good and as long as the Liver has no damage it'all good best wishes to you both

Yes take it - I had Hep C (prob from blood products in my teens) and only 4 years ago I was put on the current treatment for Hep C which is Harvoni and Ribavirin - completely cured withing 6 weeks of treatment. I have been tested every 6 months since (I was on one the early trials so they are keeping watch) and there is no sign of any virus anymore and they don't see any reason it would return. The treatment is the easiest I have every had - no side effects from the Harvoni and just a little tiredness from the Ribavirin. And yes it is really 99% cure rate.

Good luck with your TP and I hope you have an uneventful journey.


PS - PM me if you want to ask specific questions about Hep C or TP

Thank you pete

Hi sophie.

I can only reasure you as others already have. I had hep c my whole adult life (a very long time!). As part of of TP needs I went through eradication treatment, one tablet once a day for 6 weeks, no side effects. Got all clear and then a TP.

Hope this helps with your decision. Si.

My brother was asked the same question this week, unfortunately he needs a retransplant. We said yes as it would increase his chances as he has been told that he is unsuitable for a cardiac death donor.

You may also like...