New watch

I've been running without a watch so far, just with an app on my phone. About 15 years ago I tried to get into running and used a Polar with HRM, which I really loved. And I got myself a cheap watch with HRM a couple of years ago to help me lose weight. My GP (also a sports doctor) ascertained the pulse range I should exercise in (actually he scared me witless, as the range was so low even walking at my usual pace was difficult. He gave me the impression I was going to drop dead pretty soon. However 6 months of walking did the trick). But now this running business is getting quite serious and I think I need a serious running watch. So I've just ordered a Garmin Forerunner 235.

And I need new running shoes next month. Expensive business this running.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sounds very exciting and expensive :)

(It can be scary when we check things out, can't it... I ran down to my Health centre for my Well-Woman check a few weeks back and my nurse,( who also runs) checked my pulse, I was so relieved when she said it was just fine!!!)

My runs are not as awesome as yours, but I can see the merits of a good piece of kit! And new shoes, well... essential :)

• Shoes - Definitely essential! And the health scare ultimately triggered all this running business off. Now 2 1/2 stone lighter and 1,000 kms later I must admit I feel a lot better!

• As do I! I simply find it hard to believe that I am 67 when I feel about 30..🙂!

• Hubs has the fr235. The only thing we find is that the heart rate runs 20-30 beats faster than his actual rate per minute. It is well worth checking the watch against feeling/counting your pulse rate before you start and whilst out running. Otherwise he loves his watch.

• It is difficult to take error into account. I have a FR220 with chest belt - and there seems to be no or almost no error while sitting at rest - but it is hard to determine if there is any error at high HR's. I have physical trouble trying to find my pulse rate by feel when my heart is going flat out :) I no longer use my HRM much now as I kind of know what all my different training paces are so I now mostly train by pace/feel. I did discover that the best use of a HRM is to keep your pace down while running alone. Conversational pace is good to do if you have somebody to converse with - so regarding possible error, go for an easy run with somebody for say 30 minutes and stick to a FULLY conversational pace as you run for the whole time. The average recorded HR of that period can then be used as your guide to hold a conversational pace when you are alone regardless of whether there is error or not

• Congratulations! It's a great toy. Errrr, great tool ;-)

• (Voice of Darth Vader from Star Wars: )

"JaySee, you chose wisely."

Great, great watch. Just remember that the HRM is not a medical device and should be used to compare HR day to day, not to give you an absolute reading.

I have a few annoyances with the Bluetooth link to my iPhone. Normally turning the BT off and on again on the watch fixes it.

You may also like...