British Lung Foundation
35,376 members42,742 posts

Salamol Easi-Breathe

Am considering trying this inhaler for going out socially. I'm fed up with my handbag being full of spacers and inhalers! Also using a spacer isn't very discreet and I always feel awkward if I need to use Ventolin whilst out. Is there anyone here who uses this inhaler and how does it compare to Ventolin. I know the ingredient is salbutamol but some folk do say they do find a difference between generic and branded. Any comments please?

24 Replies
oldestnewest

Salamol!!!! Predictive text! I don't won't to eat it! 😂

You can edit your post by clicking on the little 'v' at the bottom, next to 'Follow post' :)

1 like

Thanks mrsmummy! I'm using a kindle so had to go on 'edit' but it worked!

1 like

I use the spacer at home but when out I simply don't use it - I take more puffs and usually it works okay.

We blokes don't have the luxury of a handbag to hide things in although I did suggest to the wife that maybe I should have a man-bag ... she said fine, so long as I'm walking alone!!

11 likes

That's a good suggestion but I have no coordination at all and go into panic mode!

2 likes

I don't use Salbutamol (Ventolin) I use a powder inhaler using Terbutaline Sulfate called Bricanyl you can't use a spacer anyway and no problems with co-ordination, it is a turbohaler, just put it to your mouth and suck, 1 puff only, 4 times a day. It is the only alternative to Salbutamol. I have been using it succesfuly for 18 months.

1 like

Thanks 2greys! Can you use it as you would Ventolin as a reliever if you needed some help?

Yes you use it just like Ventoline, it is a replacement for it. You can sound like hissing Sid when you use it though.

Lol! It seems there are drawbacks to all these meds! I think I might give it a try as sometimes I don't find Ventolin all that helpful anymore. Thanks for the heads up!

Ventolin stopped working for me too, which is why I use Brycanyl instead.

It has the same dose of salbutamol as an ordinary inhaler. The only difference is that it is breath actuated so is easier to use. To get the best out of it you need to empty your lungs as much as possible and take a deep breath in. There is a click when the user has activated it.

It is suitable for those who have poor coordination/inhaler technique. I don’t know how it fares in terms of drug deposition in the lungs when compared to inhaler and spacer.

1 like

Hi, this also sounds like it would be good for me. Is that what I ask for salamol easy breathe ??? Thank you

1 like

Yes, that is what its called.

The aerochamber is a small spacer. I used to get it on the NHS when I was in England. Now I buy generic ones from the chemist’s so I have one in my bag and one at home.

Never did like Salamol. Thought it was useless. Complained about it to the GP.

But try and see.

Take care x

1 like

Thanks Fran, The spacers I use are the aerochamber plus but they're still bulky I think. It's more of a case of trying to be able to use something in public that's a little more discreet as I get anxious about things like that!

Thanks for your comments anyway, it does give me food for thought 😁

1 like

I know you have to plan, like 15mn before you go out or go to the ladies etc and if it takes you by surprise well..

All I can add is that only 10% gets in your lungs with an inhaler only, it gets a bit better with the chamber..

Still you choose what you like best..

I have just been inhaling in the pool area although I know I have to do it 15mn before I exercise..silly me 😉

1 like

😯 thanks Fran x

1 like

The spacer is a recommendation for use with any aerosol inhaler as it helps disperse the aerosol and avoids the need to breath in at the precise moment of spraying. However, you can use Ventolin or Salamol quite adequately without a spacer if you follow the instructions carefully.

1 like

Hi superzob

Thanks for your comments but I do use spacers because I can't get the coordination right. I thought perhaps salamol may be the answer when I am out in company.

I know what you mean about the spacers, the one I use at home is massive but I have got a smaller one I bought to take out, its hardly discreet though, just easier to carry in your handbag. I can't get on without a spacer at all so I'm interested in the one you're thinking of using. Let us know how it goes if you get one.

1 like

If I do decide to try it I will let you know! It does not seem to have been a popular inhaler though judging by replies! 😕

1 like

Hi Annie31,

Have been using a Salbutamol Easi-breathe Inhaler for the past 5 years and I find it much easier to use especially if having an asthmatic attack as my mouth cannot always make a good seal around the Ventolin and spacer and my co ordination is zilch.

I still have times when I have to have a third blast because I'm not sure I have taken in the right amount - I cant always hear the click. You do have to learn to use the inhaler a bit differently but I had a trial run first and decided for me it was better than scrabbling for inhaler and untangling my diffuser getting them together while gasping for breath.

Gave up the vain hope that anything to do with my lungs is ever going to be discrete and now go out about with easi-breathe inhaler, portable nebuliser and oxygen tanks and the help of my loving family and friends. Never feel embarrassed that you need to use your inhaler while your out, enjoy your ability to get out and about.

Cheers

Sue

1 like

Yes I know you're right! ....and I will give it serious thought! Thank you x

Hi Annie31. I use an empty container and fill it a third of the way with Pieces of lint and drop about 6 drops of Olbas Oil and when I get a bit breathless I breath it in ten times and hold. It's also good for loosening Mucus. xxx

You may also like...