I am booked to go on holiday in 10 days time & was expecting the cost of travel insurance to be less than my last holiday in March which was less than 6 weeks post my HA . However, I have since had 2 consecutive significantly abnormal liver test results, attributed to the statins which not now taking pending further tests including a liver scan. Am not likely to complete tests or get results before my holiday which told means that can't be insured for any existing conditions at all while awaiting results. Is this standard, should I continue to shop around or just go with my EHIC card? I'm going whatever because it is a golden wedding celebration!
A new blip with travel insurance - British Heart Fou...
In general having had a lifetime of life (no longer bother) and travel insurance issues (Type I diabetic and now post-bypass) my general view is you have to bite the bullet and pay up. Lives have been ruined and homes lost due to inadequate insurance.
However, in this case it does seem unduly harsh. It might be worth you to ringing them to see if they would accept the results of a private ultrasound and LFT (liver function test) blood test. I would think you could get them done on Tuesday or Wednesday - estimated cost £200.
Hi there 45sue.
I to have had an issue with travel insurance. This is the first ever I have been refused due to waiting for an mri and exercise test, following my annual check up. I felt like I was being discriminated against. I ended up going anyway and touch wood I was fine as I knew I would be. I think these insurance people need to have a better system than just a tick box answer as we don't always fit into it. Maybe the heart foundation should hurry up an set one up with actual qualified staff to speak to so they can insure you. Anyhow you are not alone as many people on here are finding it difficult. I even tried some of the ones recommended by the bhf but to no avail. I wish you luck on your quest and hope you manage to get insurance. Have a good holiday if you decide to go.
Here's the wording from the t&c's.... You must be ‘Fit to Travel’ defined as:
– If you had contacted your medical practitioner prior to booking your planned trip, and before the trip departure, he/she would not have advised against travel and/or between booking and departure any and all pre-existing medical conditions must be stable and well-controlled both as to the individual condition and treatment(s) thereof and/or there exists no known likelihood of any medical tests, investigations or major variation of treatment or medication between booking travel and the date of departure or whilst travelling......hope this helps
Thanks for clarifying the t's & c's. I have contacted more than one company & refusal of insurance for any medical conditions if awaiting tests seems to be universal. Their rationale is that the tests might turn up something new/ unforseen for which they don't want to give a blank cheque. I think I can get still get insurance for normal things like lost luggage etc.
When my husband was waiting for an MRI to establish how his cardiomyopathy was and any future treatment, we used the insurance with our bank account. I phoned them and said what the situation was and as they’d already charged extra for the cardiomyopathy they didn’t charge any more or refuse cover. Good luck in sorting out the cover you need.