Amantadine anti viral used in parkinson´s

I visited my neurologist yesterday and although I think I am doing great, she prescribed 100mg once a day of amantadine (hope that is the name in english). As anyone been prescribed this? does anyone know how it is supposed to help. I have researched but the contraindications seem to be what I do not want as I have it already (dizzyness, nausea, slower movements) I think it is supposed to stop involuntary movements (like legs moving in bed), but I do not have that problem at all. Does anyone know anything that could help me to see the benefits? Thank you all, I am doing well still walking (wobbling) around unaided.

Best wishes

Isabel

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Isabel🙂 Amantadine can be prescribed to help alleviate various ataxia symptoms🙂

You might find it helpful to look at Medications for Ataxia Symptoms on ataxia.org🙂

ataxia.org/pdf/Medications_...

🙂xBeryl

• Thank you for the information, it was very helpful. I will try it then. Thank you again Beryl.

best wishes

Isabel

• Hi :)

I have SCA 7 and was very tired and slow and my doc neurologist gave me Amantadine. I felt more awake but more stressed and shaky. I tried for two weeks its nothing for me.

But try it and take notes everyday and be sure to read sideeffects so u dont get addicted or get new problems.

💪😊

• You have to take for more than 2 weeks.

• Its not a medicine you built up you feel it direct. But yes u have to find right dosis:)

• Thank you, I will.

• I am in the US. I was prescribed Amantadine for shaking. Did have insomnia but no more. I take 100 mg. twice a day. No more shaking.

• Thank you for the advice

• What was the tablets given for? I would question the side effects, but they maybe a muscle relaxant. Find out first or google them.

Angela

• I am not sure what they prescribe them for. I do not have fatigue, insonia or restless legs. the side effects seem to be what I do not want, like dizzyness and nausea which I already have sometimes , so I do not want to take a tablet that as far as I know will give me that. So I am not going to take it before my neurologist gives me more information as I see no benefits.

• Let me know how you get on!

• I will, gp said I should fins out more before taking it, so I am

and will let you know.

• If medication glves additional complaints I don't take that medicine.

My medical team is aware and humour me. I have had Ataxia for four years, l take the exercise, ride my bike (stationary) use my inhaler, record my BP , all of these things allow me to control stress levels.

Four years ago I wondered how much time did I have. Today I worked on servicing garden equipment. I had forty winks and feel great.....anyone for a dance?

You may also like...