Hello! I'm hoping somebody out there can help as I'm a mystery to the doctors at the minute. I suffer badly with hayfever in the summer and all year round rhinitus with ocassional sinus problems. Last July I was started on Clenil for "" seasonal asthma"" triggered by my hayfever based on symptoms, 2 weeks of peak flow readings and wheezing. I've since had 2 episodes of extreme shortness of breath of which was admitted to hospital for the first episode in august and avoided admission a second time this month by getting access to a nebuliser at home.
2 weeks after starting the clenil inhaler in July I had a viral infection and costocondritis (inflamation of cartlidge between breastbone and ribs) On doctors advice I had ibuprofen daily for 3 weeks to keep the extreme pain from costocondritis at bay.I then had increased dry cough for 2/7 and so increased ventolin. Day 3 I felt a little more short of breath first thing, peak flow 450 ( best is 530 ) and then very quickly over a few hours became very short of breath made worse on exertion and talking, no response from ventolin and developed an audible wheeze on expiration. Was seen urgently by GP, no wheeze was heard with stephascope but I was told there was reduced air entry. I was nebulised in the practice with good effect and given antibiotics and steroids for exacerbation of asthma and ? infection.Later that night the audible wheeze returned so I was seen by out of hours GP to be told my chest was clear, only a very slight wheeze on one side and he told me I had laryngitis and was panicing! I reassured him I wasn't anxious and after a discussion with A+E I was given another neb which helped and they decided to admit me. Peak flow before neb was 420. During my stay in hospital I was told chest clear every time and no wheeze but was given nebs for 24hours which really helped and peak flows were between 500-530.I was then switched to fostair inhaler and discharged a day later. Chest Xray was fine, Bloods showed raised white cell count. At my follow up with GP he concluded I had some sort of infection that triggered the episode. The fostair inhaler was stopped due to side effects and was switched back to Clenil alone but my symptoms didn't fully settle down so after 6 weeks I was started on serevent.
The start of december I developed blocked sinuses which I found difficult to clear despite trying antihistamines, nasonex, fluticasone nasal spray, steam inhalation and then 2 days before christmas I developed changes in my voice. As I spoke it would sound tight and nurses I work with suspected it might be my asthma but I didn't feel it affected my breathing until 12 days after when I started to feel tight in the chest. When I took the ventolin my voice would return back to normal and tightness would go but over the next 5 days my voice and breathing worsened and eventually I was very short of breath just walking across my kitchen despite 6 puffs of ventolin 2 hourly. Peak flow was 500, After 2 visits to GP practice I was finally given steroids and sent for chest xray which was normal. Again I saw the out of hours doctor who again found my chest clear, no wheeze. Doctor gave me a salbutamol neb which had a good effect, voice returned to normal and breathing improved. He felt I needed referral to ENT and that the problem wasn't my asthma. Maybe something like laryngeal spasm or vocal cords. I used salbutamol nebs at home PRN for next 4 days as very reluctant to be admitted to hospital, GP started me on Omeprazole as stomach tender on examination and also given antibiotics to cover all possible causes and bloods done. Once again bloods only showed raised white cell count. My sinuses are now ok thanks to using a sinus rinse daily.
My GP can't tell me what caused my breathing problems and refuses to refer me to ENT. He's concluded possible chest infection but isn't convinced.
Whatever causes my shortness of breath seems to affect my voice, improves with ventolin although when severe only ventolin nebs work and I've had raised white cell count on both ocassions. Chest is always clear and no wheeze heard through stephoscope and peak flow was only 420 at worst.
Anybody have any idea's?