20 yrs old living with an ankle fusion. - Arthritis Action

Arthritis Action

6,206 members1,721 posts

20 yrs old living with an ankle fusion.

Leah-Vasconcelos profile image
Leah-Vasconcelos

So it’s been 4 years since my last post... I was 16 and I’m now 20 years old. And only at the age of 19 was I able to get an ankle fusion to help with the horrible pain of arthritis. More of a little update to be honest. If anyone who is around my age and worried about having this type of procedure I really recommend instead of an ankle replacement. At the age of 19 I could no longer cope with the pain and it lead me down a dark path. But due to having this operation it’s changed my life in more ways than one. I go the gym regularly, I go out with my friends constantly, not having to worry about how long we are going to be walking for. I’ve never been happier in all of my teenage years than I am now. Don’t give up, no matter how hard it is, it will get better.

6 Replies

What a wonderful encouraging post

So glad it has given your life back. Thank you for your encouraging post. 😊

Great to hear positive news from someone who’s had it done

Hi can I ask what fusion you had please great to hear it has worked for you x

Hi! Thank you it’s still working wonders a 2 years later ☺️ I had an arthroscopic ankle fusion on my left ankle, it’s changed my life! It only ever becomes sore if I’ve done an 9 hour shift in work (as I work on my feet all day)

Thanks for reply I’m waiting on subtular fusion it was cancelled in November so should be having date soon and I’m terrified 🙈 x

You may also like...