Allergic to adhesive: I am allergic to... - AF Association

AF Association
19,785 members24,168 posts

Allergic to adhesive

SocDoc
SocDoc

I am allergic to adhesives, all adhesives. Bandages scare me because a typical band-aid will peel off my skin when you take it off. Unfortunately, today my doctor determined I needed to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours I am doing my best to make it through (only 12 hours to go.) I can see the hives forming around the leads.

Ten years ago before heart surgery, I had to wear a Holter monitor for 2 weeks and my cardiologist was able to find some pediatric leads that had very little adhesive on them and we managed with them.

I know see there are special leads for those who are allergic to adhesive. If we need to do this for more than 24 hours, we will have to wait until I can buy these new leads. You cannot buy them on Amazon but they are available online.

I hope this is helpful for others.

19 Replies
oldestnewest

I had a 7 day monitor with hypoallergenic stickers but I still came out in hives. I took antihistamines for the week (I wasn’t on other medication then) and used cortisone cream.

SocDoc
SocDoc
in reply to Kaz747

Thank you, I appreciate it. When I had to wear one before for an extended time period the cardiologist had some hypoallergenic ones, not exactly hypoallergenic but was better than what my doctor's lab had. Hopefully, we won't have to do it again. But, if we do we will use the hypoallergenic ones.

Kaz747
Kaz747
in reply to SocDoc

I did have hypoallergenic ones but still had a reaction- I think it was more the little bit of gel on it.

Hidden
Hidden

You need to ask for the Hypoallergenic stickers..

First monitor l had at Liverpool produced Hives and soreness that took weeks to fade but later when being fitted with 7 day monitor and fter explaining this I was then issued with the Hypo allergenic which solved the problem ...Don't do what l did first time round and suffered in silence...

SocDoc
SocDoc
in reply to Hidden

Thanks so much for the advice.

I have this problem and have had severe reactions to the heart monitor stickers used during the ablations I have had. A Holter monitor is out if the question for me.

On the past two occasions the anaesthetist has used a product called ‘Opsite’ which forms a barrier between the electrodes and the skin. It reduced the problem significantly.

I know this is not going to help on this occasion but it might be useful for you to know for the future.

Pete

SocDoc
SocDoc
in reply to pottypete1

Thank you for the suggestion. If we have to do it again, I'll ask about this. I appreciate the advice.

GrannyE
GrannyE
in reply to pottypete1

Opsite sounds like a good idea. Thank you. Will try to remember next time I need to have it. I too get a horrible reaction to adhesive. Even the hypoallergenic electrodes, after a short while give me a reaction, but they are miles better than the others. This site is extremely helpful and good luck to everyone having to go through this.

I'm allergic to the gel stuff that is in the center of the pad to aid conduction.

Not good on a 2 week stay on a cardiac ward with constant monitoring attached

pottypete1
pottypete1
in reply to Mikee69

This is exactly my problem Mike.

I am so bad they often don't continually monitor me. However, when really necessary the Opsite is an option.

Pete

GrannyE
GrannyE
in reply to Mikee69

You poor thing. So sorry.

Mikee69
Mikee69
in reply to GrannyE

To be fair, it's not as bad as having AF , but pretty uncomfortable when you are already feeling fed up.

But thanks for your concern 😁

I am also allergic to plaster, they have to use a special one but I don't know what it is called but it is green in colour. Bandages are know problem because they stick the plaster onto the top of the bandage.

Take antihistamines to dampen down your body's reaction.

Plasters etc seem to be okay if on a finger with me but anywhere else on the body especially the stomach and chest areas I come up in red itchy spots/blotches that irritate for a couple of weeks after removal.

Pretty sure this won't help to attach leads but you might find it useful for replacing plasters in some circumstances, whether you have an allergy or not. For a long time I used to have frequent blood draws to monitor my INR levels because I was on warfarin (for atrial fibrillation). Anticoagulants like warfarin make one bruise easily and removal of the plaster from my arm always caused ugly bruising until I took my own roll of veterinary bandage to my blood draws and had the phlebotomist stick on the cotton wool with it rather than the usual sticking plaster/band aids. Google "veterinary bandages" if you're interested -- I used to pay £2 or £3 for a roll that lasted for ages; it's a bit like Velcro and has no glue to hold it in place. (I also took my own pair of scissors because none were kept in the blood test centre.) And removing it is painless, unlike tearing off plaster (ouch!).

Thank you so much, I will do that. I have a documented allergy to adhesive combined with fragile skin syndrome so when I have blood draws they use Cobain rather than tape but that is not the best solution.

My daughter and I are allergic to adhesives too. My daughters reaction are far worse than my own and having a condition which means she dislocates and sometimes it's necessary for her to "tape up" her joints to hold her together is a reluctant thing.

What we have found is something on amazon called CAVILON. It is a spray to put on the skin prior to putting the tape on. Dries quickly and so far is working well. Perhaps worth a try.

SocDoc
SocDoc
in reply to Diamonddaisy

Thank you for the helpful advice.

You may also like...