I lack a lot of the knowledge I see others display on this site and am looking for some input. I was settled on a treatment process but now feel reluctant.
I was Dx'd July of '18 with a Gleason of 7 (3+4), bilateral with perineural invasion. No extraprostatic invasion. Stage 2a. My prostatectomy was in November. The pathology on my prostate said it was negative to cancer in the lymph nodes and margins and expected a clean psa. In January, my PSA was 0.06, in Feb it was 0.09. I have another psa at the end of this week.
The recommended treatment was short term Lupron and radiation to the prostate bed and the lymph nodes. It is my understanding that the radiation is the only hope for a cure, the rest is ongoing treatment. The concern is whether the cancer has spread beyond, possibly to the bone.
My questions: The treatment sounds reasonable but I would like to avoid it if there are reasonable alternatives. I have moderate ED but functional. I am afraid of losing it all together. Is there a rush to start this? Is it reasonable to start radiation to see if it is cured then the hormones?
How bad is it to wait until my psa rises enough to show up on a scan to know exactly where it is? Does knowing that really matter that much?
It appears that if I am not cured, then the future is moving from one med to the next buying time. How much time does all this buy? My wife read that Lupron may extend life only a short number of months. I know we both don't fully understand the context of what we are reading so I am feeling challenged to make a cool headed decision.
What is the likely outcome, and timing, of doing nothing? I appreciate anyone's perspective here on any part!