Advanced Prostate Cancer
5,501 members5,166 posts

Best Place to Get Solid Tumor Genetic Testing for Prostate Cancer

What is the best place to get solid tumor genetic testing for Prostate Cancer?

My understanding is that the leaders are: FoundationOne, Oncomine Dx, and Illumina

And that most hospitals save your original prostate biopsy for about 10 years... and all they need is the original biopsy slide. The tests are apparently covered by Medicare and most health plans. And once you get the Doctor's order, they take over and procure the specimen from the hospital for you.

So does anyone have any experience or knowledge about FoundationOne, Oncomine Dx, and Illumina Genomic testing labs?

24 Replies
oldestnewest

Foundation One---you get an Advocate as soon as you call in--800 number--get it from Web Page. You get orders for Doctor to fill out on-line and print them off. As soon as he signs and e-mails back the process starts. Yes they will take care of getting samples of the biopsy or of the prostate if you had an RP. You also with mutations found get a list of available targeted drugs, where all the clinical trials are, a communication portal--you can call in and can get questions answered--if an advocate cannot--they will have a Geneticist Call you or a Doctor.

You become a client for life--you get updates as to what is new for your mutations--or other interesting immunology news, you can use. Medicare covers.

Nalakrats

3 likes

Thanks for the informative post.

Nalakrats,

Do you know anything about Oncomine Dx:

thermofisher.com/us/en/home...

or

Illumina

illumina.com

I believe they do Gene Mutation sequencing and a few Bio Markers like PD-L1---which is popular today as it predicts if Keytruda has a chance to work. If you check them out, I think they just test for less than 30 Gene Mutations--where I went---Foundation One checked 320+ Now you can have mutations relative to other non cancer diseases--so it is possible the Oncomine---is specific for just Cancer--or Prostate Cancer---I know they deal in a lot of Lung Cancer Gene Mutation Evaluation, so they may have identified all or most of the mutations related to Cancer--and that is all they do. You can learn so much by calling Foundation One and asking all these questions of an Advocate.

All I got.

Nalakrats

2 likes

What if the tissue sample is 15 years old, could not the cancer cells mutate in those 15 years? Therefore, wold not a new sample biopsy be needed?

Rich

Yes I think that's correct. So would the insurance pay for that since a diagnosis has been made?

The biopsy slide would be sent to the Lab for them to test against assay index. Medicare pays for some tests. However, this Wednesday the powers meet to decide how to curtail costs of these tests-- it is called cost containment.

Rich

The Samples are kept frozen usually for 10 years--if 15 years old they probably would have been disposed of. They can do a Liquid Biopsy from your blood, if samples of prostate material are gone. As I said call the 800 number of Foundation One and they will answer all your questions. They can find out if you still have sample left--by calling the hospital that would of had it. Leave it to them to get all things lined up---It is only a matter of you going forward or not. Its only a phone call and you will learn lots.

Nalakrats

Thanks Nalakrats

Thank you !

Rich

Foundation one is very good.

Also, consider Caris:

carislifesciences.com/

If you have old samples they will probably not be very useful. Cancer evolves over time, so the biopsy cores from 10 years ago may not tell you anything about the genomics of your current tumors. You want to analyze your most recent and most aggressive tumors.

And after you've gotten the info you need, consider sharing your tumor, blood and saliva samples with the Metastatic Prostate Cancer Project. They are trying to build a huge database for future research. You won't directly benefit, but it costs nothing, and may benefit future patients;

mpcproject.org/home

2 likes

Participating in the Metastatic Prostate Ca Project is very simple. I contacted them, husband received the kit and it was completed quickly.

That was really nice of you to contribute his data to their database. That will someday be a source of new personalized therapies.

Our son is 35. My husband has 8 nephews in their 30s. Our hope is that one day, they won't have to go through this.

Good Monday Morning cesanon,

Over the almost 6 year course of my battle (please see bio), I have had 4 Guardant360 liquid biopsies and 1 FoundationOne biopsy.

Differences are evident in names--Guardant360 requires only 2 tubes of blood but FoundationOne requires actual tissue sample. I agree with earlier comment that using a 10 year old sample would yield results from the past, as your cancer has mutated since then.

I could see the genetic changes from the Guardant360 results--a later result indicated an ATM defect (not present earlier) and from that, Dr. Myers prescribed Lynparza, PARP inhibitor. Worked for about 9 months.

Best wishes. Never Give In.

Mark, Atlanta

1 like

Thanks Mark

It does appear that FoundationOne has both a solid tissue and a blood-based test.

Sounds like the blood-based one may make the most sense, generally?

Is there any basis on which to compare and contrast the Guardant360 blood test to the Foundationone blood test? I think the FoundationOne blood test, tests for 360 genes?

How many genes did the Guardant360 test for? Is that something would be willing to double check?

Hey everyone See this posting by Patrick:

Genomic Health, Inc. (NASDAQ: GHDX) today announced the U.S. commercial launch of the Oncotype DX® AR-V7 Nucleus Detect™ test. The first and only liquid biopsy test of its kind, the Oncotype DX AR-V7 Nucleus Detect test was developed by Epic Sciences to help prolong the lives of men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) by accurately detecting a splice variant of the androgen receptor protein (AR-V7) in the nucleus of circulating tumor cells (CTCs). Knowledge of a patient's AR-V7 status enables physicians to confidently decide whether men treated with an androgen receptor-signaling inhibitor (ARSI) therapy, such as enzalutamide and abiraterone, need to start another type of ARSI or switch to chemotherapy."

healthunlocked.com/advanced...®-ar-v7-nucleus-detect™-test

markets.businessinsider.com...

1 like

Our local UsTOO group promotes this link for free Prostate Tumor sequencing:

stratifyprostate.com/

Haven't tried it yet but appears you have to have have metastatic Prostate Cancer to qualify for the free test.

JoelT,

Cancer ABCs has just arranged a partnering agreement with a company that will perform not only genetic sequencing of solid tumor tissue but also molecular and protein sequencing. They use the labs you listed as well as others depending on the tumor and cancer type. They will perform this service for all solid tumor types.....

See:

healthunlocked.com/cancer-t...

Has anyone filled out the questionnaire and moved forward with

stratifyprostate.com/?

Always a little gun shy of FREE in the medical field. It would be a good idea if they are looking at trying to get a spectrum of tissue types to look as similarities. If doing this on our own how would we move forward to getting targeted treatment?

Filled out the questionnaire. Waiting to hear back.

IMO Tall Allen has the best comment, That being that over time Cancer can mutate, and that it would be more beneficial to have a current sample of the most mutated Cancer, I do not know where Mr. Allen came from, but his answers are always on point , and I am glad he is here. That said It is not always easy to get a sample surgically, as i know and spent a week in the Hospital after a robotic surgery to get a sample turned into full open and 8 days in the hospital a few years back. My question is are Blood samples for genetic testing as effective as getting a tumor sample?

Dan

1 like

We got the original biopsy slides from my husband’s RP, which was done in 2003.

You may also like...