Log in
Vasculitis UK
5,846 members5,243 posts

Expenses for fuel ?

I now attend hospitals so many times that I am finding that my fuel use is much higher. Now, before anyone starts about me being grateful for being treated, I do feel lucky that I can get treatment but someone has mentioned that I may get help with fuel.

Does anyone know if this is true please ? I am travelling from Bristol to London Free hospital and to Addenbrokes in Cambridge plus many vista to my "local" hospital that is 9 miles away and always in thick and heavy traffic. If anyone has any links then please do let me know. I would be very grateful. Money is tight and I am on benefits.

I suffer Crohn's and ANCA positive small cell vasculitis plus a long standing degenerative back condition

Many thanks in advance

12 Replies

I don't know the answer to your question but I think it is a very valid one and something that you should be able to claim for if possible. I have read leaflets about claiming and you may be on the right benefits to do that. There's a PALS office at Addenbrokes, they may be able to guide you in the right direction. If I find anything out, I'll post another reply.

1 like

Details from Addenbrokes PALs

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Website accessibility help

. .

Welcome to PALS. We're here to help.

PALS is here to:

•help answer any questions about your care in hospital

•advise and support you and your family – we understand that being in hospital can be an anxious time and you might need someone else to act on your behalf

•listen to your suggestions for improving our service for patients and visitors

•respond to your concerns if you are unhappy with any aspect of your care

•pass on your compliments to staff if you are pleased with any aspect of your care

The information centre

Our offices are just inside the main entrance of the hospital. The centre is wheelchair accessible.


Telephone: 01223 216 756

From bedside Hospedia: *801

Fax: 01223 256 170

Email: pals@addenbrookes.nhs.uk

Postal address Box 53, Cambridge University Hospitals, Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ

Opening hours

Monday to Friday: 09:00 — 16:00

Out of hours

The office has an answerphone which is available 24 hours a day and messages will be responded to as quickly as possible.

If you have a very urgent issue that you need to discuss outside of these opening hours please call the hospital Contact Centre and ask for the operational matron.

Telephone: 01223 245151

1 like

Thank you very much


I find being ill really expensive. My village has a voluntary group who drive people to appointments and you can give them a donation. They give you a brown envelope and you can give them as much or as little as you like. The driver does not look!


nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcos... try this. Hopefully link will work. Looks like it depends on which benefits you receive.


Hi, Mooka is right, you can get travel expenses paid but you have to be on certain benefits.

1 like

If you are on benefits or retired or on income below a certain level you can claim back your fuel and parking costs at the hospital, usually from the Cashier's Office. You must have proof of income/benefits and proof of appointment and you may need to get a form stamped in the Department your appointment is in, you can usually get this from the reception desk. If you check on each hospitals website it will outline how you can claim it.


I really appreciate the help


Hi Jools,

I thinks the others have already answered your question and may have already included the link. I have copied the information about which benefits you need to claim to qualify.

Do you claim PIP?


You can claim help with travel costs if you or your partner (including civil partner) receive any of the following:

Income Support.

Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

You are named on, or entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate. If you do not have a certificate, you can show your award notice. You qualify if you get child tax credits, working tax credits with a disability element (or both) and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less.

You have a low income and are named on certificate HC2 (full help) or HC3 (limited help). To apply for this certificate, you should complete form HC1, which is available from your local hospital, Jobcentre Plus offices, or from the NHS print contract order line on 0300 123 0849.

You receive Universal Credit and meet the criteria.

Read more about the NHS Low Income Scheme.

It is important to note that the cheapest form of transport should be used and that your claim needs to be approved.

If you don't think you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to then please feel free to contact me via email: vicky@vasculitis.org.uk

1 like

Thanks Vicky. I get ESA and DLA at high rate for care and low rate mobility. I get free dental and am told this is now difficult to get. I will contact the hospital. They are paying for me and my care giver to stay at the premier inn the night before as it's an 09:00 appointment. I have so many appointments coming up. Cardiology, MRI of spine then nerve block injection into my spine and colonoscopy all before the end of the month.

1 like

I applied for an HC2 certificate-by using an HC1, available at most NHS outlets. They require details of your circumstances, income, who you live with and so on.

Hope this helps


1 like

I had to go to Ipswich Hospital today, for a blood test I still managed to claim 'Travelling Expenses' because my Consultant wanted the test done. A small 'tip' though, make sure that you have the Documentation to hand, when claiming.



You may also like...