Hi, I am really concerned as to where to go from here!!! Can anyone please help.
I have been on thyroid meds for about 15 yrs. I origionally started on Levothyroxine and was on it for about 12 yrs and over that time my bloods never balanced nor did I ever feel that good. So I asked to try something else. No Dr or Endo that I have seen has ever offered me anything else as apparently there isn't anything here in the UK other than the synthetic form. I over the yrs started getting lumps round my neck and my Doc and Endo said I was having a bad reaction on them. So with a lot of heated discussion my endo said I could try Armour but I would have to go through my Doc for the Prescriptions. Well that was for about 6 moths on the NHS and them they refused to let me have any more and if I wanted to continue I had to pay for the meds which worked out about £150 for 3 months Armour. I was on a 3 grain tablet that seemed to work and made me feel much better. But recently due to the high combination i was advised to drop a little to 2 grains and have been on that for 2 months. The recent issue I now have as I moved and though my existing surgery was still local I was told I had to change surgery. I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to sort out a new GP and get my notes moves over, but my new GP now tells me that as I was under a specialist they wouldn't honour the meds I had to go back to my Endo. My Endo is telling me he too doesn't like the Armour tablet and never advised me to take it even though there is no alternative offered.!!!! I was given some notes to say that ARMOUR isn't to be prescribed by local GP's. Arggggghhhhhh !!!!!!
With the bad reaction from the Levo tablets I really don't want to back onto those but fear I don't have an option but to and go back down hill with them.
I was also told by my Endo that over the yrs of not getting the right dose or the right Hormone replacement to help my thyroid it has dried up and not there any more.
So I have less than 2 weeks of tablets left and and not in a desperate state of where to go next. I really can't afford the high costs of seeing someone privately and the waiting game of starting all over again is worrying me.
Can anyone please help me in where to go or what I can now do??? I've less than a week now to get something sorted!!!