Suddenly undermedicated on NDT after changing t... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK

117,017 members135,775 posts

Suddenly undermedicated on NDT after changing to a new brand

whynotwhynot
whynotwhynot

Hi everyone,

A month into shifting from one pharmaceutical brand of NDT to another I've gone from perfectly well-adjusted levels to everything completely out of whack: too low t3, t4, ft3, ft4, plus a rising THS. I haven't changed my dosage (still on 120 mcg/day). I have never experienced this happening before, and haven't seen my THS rise in 2 years.

Can your THS even rise on NDT? I thought it became suppressed, and I'm not understanding what's going on.

What gives? Should I get off this new brand ASAP? Doctors obviously want me to switch back to synthetic, but I'm very hesistant, because I felt the best I've felt on the old NDT (which became too expensive and difficult to get hold off, which is why I changed to this new brand). Have any of you experienced a sort of adaption period when you try out a new brand of medication? Should I give it more time and see if my levels star adjusting?

I'm scared, because none of my options seem that great, and the symptoms are starting to kick in again: confusion, lethargy, aches, anxiety.

Thank you so much for your help, everyone.

Warmly,

A

4 Replies
helvella
helvellaAdministrator

Which makes are involved?

What do you mean?

Switched from Erfa to Thiroyd.

helvella
helvellaAdministrator in reply to whynotwhynot

There have been some posts suggesting that some Thiroyd has seemed not to be as effective as it used to be. No idea why.

Oh, really? I'll try to search for those posts.

You may also like...