Thyroid UK
87,736 members102,420 posts

Can I have both antibodies

Morning all. I’m hoping someone can give me some links on having both graves and hashimotoes antibodies circulating at the same time. Latest tests showed both antibodies which is more than puzzling as I was told my thyroid had died years ago. I have had hashimotoes for over 25 yrs. I am currently on 125 mg thyroxine with frees in upper range but tsh at 0.005 . I’m feeling fine but a bit worried as to meds. Many thanks

5 Replies
oldestnewest

It has been reported that those with Graves antibodies (TRAB/TSI) quite often have Hashimoto's antibodies (Thyroglobulin and/or thyroid Peroxidase).

1 like

I have TED and have been tested before but nothing showed up. New endo was puzzled by my plummeting tsh while on same dose as a previous reading of 3.20. I have been under 1.00 since November 17 but no where near this

Is there a name for this, helvella? And, what effects would that cause, I wonder? TIA.

Hi there Dee i have both, hashis and graves but you cant have them at the same time-you can have a hashi flare and then a graves flare, not great i know!!

1 like

Thanks Rmichelle that’s interesting to know. I will be seeing endo again beginning of July so hopefully find out more then. How do you manage with meds if you don’t mind me asking and would having thyroid removed stop the graves antibodies. So many questions sorry😐

You may also like...