Thyroid UK
87,581 members102,287 posts

Respiratory infection and tsh levels

Hi everyone, I'm just recovering from a rather nasty respiratory infection had a course of antibiotics. Had my bloods done (gp) on Friday and got the results in on Saturday my tsh has gone up to 8.1 ( range 0.2 - 4.0) they didn't test anything else ( though they were supposed to test cholesterol) I have hashimotos. On 100/125 Levo alternate days. This was increased last august on my request as tsh was 2.6 and I felt rather ill.

Doctor wants me to see him but before I do I thought I had read somewhere that infection can cause tsh to rise. If this can happen I am hoping to just ask for a retest say in 6 weeks before changing my medication again. Can anyone confirm that infection can cause a raise? I could also be in a hashi swing too I guess, but would my tsh drop again once that settled?

Thank you in advance for any help

17 Replies
oldestnewest

I believe anti-biotics can affect the uptake of Levo :-)

How are your VitD levels ? Reading your post of 4 years ago I see you had low levels of B12 - Folate and Ferritin too - how are they doing ?

Hi Mark thank you for your reply, I don't have a clue where they are as gp refuses to test them. My diet is better now so I am hoping that this has helped, I eat liver st least once a week but am worried to take lots of supplements incase I don't actually need them.

I am saving up to get bloods done privately but am single, work part time and have a ten year old and when I keep having to have time off work ( just had 3 weeks off due to this infection) money becomes very tight :-(

I am seriously thinking of changing doctors 😡

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

Your post of 4 years ago is above. Did you go back after your course of iron to be checked ? Did you treat your B12 - result needs to be near the top of the range - not bumping along the bottom. A B12 result below 500 can result in neurological conditions as I know to my cost. It is possible that your VitD is also low - as you have Hashimotos - and there is a connection. there have been posts about it recently - here on the Forum.

Hashimotos is often the cause of poor absorption so eating well often does not help - sadly. You need the supplements - so it is not the case of taking something you do not need. If you follow this forum you will read several posts a day about the testing/results/treatment for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

Changing Docs sounds a good idea. Do some research on nutrients needed when you have Hashimotos. Are you gluten free ? - even when the inadequate testing says negative many Hashimotos people have gluten sensitivity without being full blown coeliacs.

Please do not worry about cholesterol - you need good levels to be well and live long :-)

I really need to get a grip on all this don't i? thank you, I do take b12 methyl sublingual, will start with the other suggestions thank you again, p.s. sorry, just seen auto correct changed your name to mark from marz :-)

1 like

How much B12 ? - which brand ? It is also suggested you take a good B Complex containing Folate or Folic Acid. B12 works in the body with Folic Acid so good levels of both are needed. 😊

Hi Marz, it's natures own 500ug ( it's not a u but I don't have the symbol lol ) yeast free, any suggestions on the b complex please?

I take Thorne Research B complex - they have more than one ! From Amazon :-) I self inject B12 weekly - I also take Jarrow Methylcobalamin B12 lozenges 1000 mcg and 5000 mcg - again from Amazon :-)

Yes I went back and he gave me a second course if iron but has since "refused" to re test, he just told me to improve my diet. He said b12 was fine, i will look into buying vit d and K2mk7, I have some magnesium in so will check the type and hopefully be able to use them thank you

1 like

Sorry but it is imperative that GP's monitor Iron - as too much can be a problem. Check out Guidelines with NICE - I live in Crete so am not up to speed - except with monitoring my own health :-)

Thank you, spent an hour last night looking but couldn't find anything. Lol will continue today, not that he will listen, I can but try I, then move on if I get nowhere

Thank you, you have been very kind

Have you tried the Search Box on this page ? Also read other replies and posts - especially humanbean who has excellent knowledge of iron.

1 like

nortonsafe.search.ask.com/w...

My google search threw up loads - so click on. Some NHS ones I could not open as they are for the UK only and I am in Crete !

Thank you, I have started reading through the same ines this morning

1 like

Having an infection will affect your conversion of T4 to T3, so the TSH will rise. Not sure it would rise that much, though.

A Hashi's flare/swing would cause your TSH to drop, not rise, because of the extra thyroid hormone dumped into the blood. So, it's probably a combination of the infection and needing an increase in dose.

2 likes

thank you greygoose

You're welcome. :)

Another thought, this is the 2nd brand change in 6 months, would that have anything to do with tsh rising too?

You may also like...