TSH levels

Are my TSH levels still OK?

Last tests in March were TSH <0.05 range (0.30-4.20), FT4 15.1 (12.0 - 22.0), FT3 5.1 (4.0 - 6.80).

My endo in March said he has more people with suppressed TSH on Armour than me so mine was not too bad, although it was low.

Last week results were TSH <0.02 range (0.30-4.20), FT4 15.0 (12.0 - 22.0), FT3 6.0 (4.0 - 6.80).

I did not take my usual 3g of Armour the day before the test and had the test at 8am.

I can't really afford £150 just to go and ask him. I feel fine now so would just like some advice from you knowledgeable people out there. How low is too low on NDT?

Thank you.

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • No such thing as too low. It depends on YOU you are the individual patient, not a test subject or a guinea pig. Suppressed TSH is very common and please remember the TSH test is a PITUARTARY hormone NOT a thyroid hormone. My endo tried this with me and as I told him, I have no thyroid so how could it possibly be a different reading? His hypothesis? You thyroid can grow back! Now I belive this can be true with some patients but not all.

• Totally agree. No such thing as too low once you are on any thyroid hormone replacement. The feed-back loop is broken and the TSH test is irrelevant. Why would you need to stimulate your thyroid if you are taking enough hormone to suppress it?

• Thank you. My GP thinks I am sending my results to my endo still to check but I told him if he wants this I am no longer paying for it he will have to refer me. He has probably forgotten anyway and won't follow it up.

• Ok, then what should be tested instead/as well as?

• Well, as you ask so nicely... FT4 and FT3.

• But those have been tested, I've posted the results here for the past 3 years.

• Yes, but that reply wasn't originally intended for you. It was meant for wedding2000. It's her post. I Don't know anything about your case...

So, have you had your antibodies tested - TPOab and TgAB?

Vit D?

Vit B12?

Folate?

Ferritin?

Those are just the basics. There are loads of other vitamins and minerals that need to be taken into consideration.

• Ft3 and Ft4 as long as they are in range you are fine even if tsh like mine and yours is less than 0.02. Just saw Dr P today and he said TSH fine at less than 0.02 and my endo said the same when I saw him a year ago. I don't take Armour day before test wither as it skews results.

• Thank you. My GP thinks I am sending my results to my endo still to check but I told him if he wants this I am no longer paying for it he will have to refer me. He has probably forgotten anyway and won't follow it up.

• On either t3 or NDt your TSH can be ZERO

my husbands tsh is always zero and he has been on 5 grains armour for at least 8 yrs

You may also like...