Thyroid UK
89,299 members103,798 posts

Iron deficiency & iron supplementing

Some research coming out of Zurich seems to suggest that iron deficiency anaemia may be corrected quicker with lower dosing and less frequent dosing ie alternate days instead of daily and it may also make adverse effects to iron supplementation more tolerable.

Forward to last 10 minutes of programme bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ply54

Raucous has posted this too but has included a transcript from the programme in her post in this link healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes I listened to this yesterday, the things I do to relax 😳🤔

1 like

Saw the other post on this, very interesting definitely!

1 like

Eek! What do I do now!!! :-/

BadHare,

If your current regime isn't working why not try a lower dose and alternate day dosing and see whether that helps?

I don't know if my intake isn't working. I only increased dose & added a biglycinate on top of prescribed sulphate after my last tests showed middlish ferritin. My problem was low B12.. My thyroid hormones seem to be working as nicely as they should, so I think I'll stick with taking it the way I am now with fruit & greens.

BadHare,

You don't need to supplement iron if ferritin is mid-range.

1 like

Serum Ferritin normal 74ug/L (10.0-291.0ug/L) This was on Ferrous sulphate, only.

Badhare,

Ok, 74's not mid-range. Aim for 140-150.

2 likes

Thanks again Clutter!

It should be higher as I added 7mg of biglycinate & left a wider gap between eating anythig else, but haven't had blood tests other than B12 since.

Interesting, heard the programme on Radio 4 this afternoon.

1 like

Dont usually listen to anything my gp says but he did say that lower doses of iron is better than a high quick fix, im on floravital and so far so good-slow but steady. ☺☺

2 likes

You may also like...