Hi all this is my first post - I would really appreciate some advice please if anyone can shed any light?
I’m 25 years old, and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for a little under 18 months, with no success so far. Back in October of last year we both underwent initial blood tests, and were told all were within the normal range. I was particularly surprised to hear that my thyroid test was ‘normal’ as I’d long suspected there might be a problem there as I have A LOT of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (fatigue/low energy levels, weakness, dry skin, weight gain, difficulty losing weight, muscle aches, bouts of depression/anxiety), but at 3.18 my GP said it was fine.
It was only earlier this month when I came across an article discussing the links between infertility and hypothyroidism that I decided to look further into it. I found information that suggested a TSH level of above 2.0 could severely inpact on the ability to conceive (and also increase the risk of miscarriage). Not only that, but I read that a short luteal phase along with irregular cycles have also been linked to hypothyroidism. My own luteal phase is 10/11 days, and my cycles can vary quite significantly between 25 days right up to 36 days, and so this seemed to resonate.
Armed with this new information, last week I went back to my GP to be met with a less than sympathetic attitude, and to be told because my levels were in the normal range there was nothing they could do. I fought against this and requested a more detailed thyroid panel, which eventually, my GP (reluctantly) agreed to.
My results for this were as follows:
TSH - 3.03 (less than last time but this was an evening test which I’ve heard can lower the result?)
Free T4 - 15.7
Free T3 - 5.4
TPOab - 242
So although my TSH, T4 and T3 levels are ‘normal’ in this latest test, I’ve got an elevated TPOab level, which, from my research, suggests Hashimoto’s - is this right?
I’m booked in to see my GP again on Tuesday and I would really appreciate any advice that you can offer so that I am armed with as much information as possible - especially should I need to fight my corner with this. Should I be expecting to be put onto treatment or be referred to an endocrinologist? Or is it possible the GP won’t do anything further at all?
Thanks so much for any help and apologies this is so long!