Help with Blood Test Results - Thyroid

Help with Blood Test Results - Thyroid

Hello,

I've had a low resting pulse 48bpm and have been quite concerned what is causing this. Dr says it's healthy, but have recently had some bloods taken.

Me: 30 yr old male, basketball once per week and weight lifting 3x - but would not call myself an 'athlete' by any means.

My results are attached here - I think TSH seems quite high, but the FreeT4 looks like its ok. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Joseph

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Welcome to the forum, HakeJohno.

Are you taking Levothyroxine?

Hello,

No I am not taking levothyroxine, or anything. No diagnosis. I just had blood tests to check my heart rate.

HakeJohno,

TSH >2.0 indicates your thyroid is beginning to struggle but FT4 is over half way through range which is good. NHS is unlikely to diagnose hypothyroidism until either TSH is >4.5 or FT4 is <7.0.

Supplementing 200mcg selenium is good thyroid support.

Your other blood tests are all within range. Unless you are experiencing breathlessness or fatigue I would accept that 48bpm is a healthy heart rate for you.

Thanks so much for the reply. Is there anything other than selenium I can take?

Also if my thyroid is struggling does that mean I am likely to become hypothyroid? Anything I can do to prevent or help this?

Any other tests I should take to clarify the matter?

I have some symptoms of hypothyroid - tired, dry skin on face, low pulse, dry eyes.

HakeJohno,

You could try thyroid supplements available online.

Thyroid function usually declines but it may be years/decades before you become hypothyroid. Your GP is unlikely to test further while TSH isn't abnormal but you could test privately to see whether thyroid peroxidase and/or thyroglobulin antibodies are positive which would increase the likelihood of developing hypothyroidism.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Hypothyroid symptoms are non-specific and can be applicable to a number of things. Low/deficient ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate can all cause the symptoms. If your GP won't test you can order them from the link I provided.

A preservative free eye drops or gel will relieve dry eyes.

You may also like...