Medical exemption

Hi just wondering when everyone got their exemptions? Was it as soon as you started levo?

I started beginning of March which she said was a trial so gave me 2 months on one prescription so i wouldn't have to pay twice.

Tried to get a gp appointment today, started ringing at 07:58, they open at 8, finally got through at 8:03 and all had gone. They don't do telephone consultations so I left a message for the dr to review my results. Got a phone call from the receptionist at 12:30 to say a prescription for 50mcg has been left for me.

When I went to pick it up I asked if that meant I was no longer on trial and have a diagnosis. She checked my notes but said it didn't say anything other than had increased dose and recheck levels in 8 weeks.

I went to the chemist and the pharmacist said "I assume you're medical exemption" and considering there was also b12 injection and folio acid on it as repeat I didn't correct him...

I now feel guilty but don't know why I should? I pay for my own blood tests so I don't think it's alot to ask for what everyone else on levo gets?

Am I being silly or have I done the wrong thing? I have been paying for folio acid and b12 since Jan then levo since March. This is the first time I haven't paid :-/

Skip

Featured Content

Living with a thyroid disease?

Connect with people like you to get support, advice and tips towards improving your health.

Get started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi, it was the pharmacist who advised me to apply for exemption when she gave me my meds. If you have been on treatment since the beginning of March I think you should apply. I think I was still on my trial when I applied. It has helped a lot especially as I am unable to work.

• Thanks, the pharmacist gave me the form last time but said the doctor needs to sign it. Then the receptionist today said they'd do it at the Dr's once I had a diagnosis but they didn't know if I did. My dads was done in the Dr's room when he was first prescribed x

• Here's the link for you to have a look at exemptions

nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-cer...

• The officially correct procedure would have been for you to request a special FP57 refund receipt. You would then have some time to get an exemption certificate and apply for a refund.

Or move from England! Or suddenly find yourself old enough to be exempt on age grounds.

Ask your surgery as soon as you can.

• I was advised to apply for exemption when first diagnosed and given Levo - 1992ish. Think you can get an exemption form from Post office, fill it in and take to GP for signature, then send it off.

Just a note re paying. If you have let the chemist assume you are already on exemption, I believe that the onus is on you, if you didn't pay for your medication and you don't have a n exemption, you could be leaving yourself open to a fine or something...might want to go back to chemist and check it out.

• The lady's in Tesco advice me on the pharmacy. She told me why wasn't getting them free. And told me to asked at the doctors. I got the form from the pharmacy at the doctors and hand it in. The doctor signed it for me. And sent it away for me. I received my card in the post. And got a refund on my medication as well. The Tesco lady's was so help fully when I switched onto levothroyxine (t4). But I didn't get any help with t3.

You may also like...