Skin Irritation with New Levo Prescription

I have been reading of the many symptoms some people are reporting having been prescribed the new Teva Levothyroxine.

My husband has this year been switched to Teva ( 25mcgs+ 50mcgs tablets) He has been scratching his skin to the point of drawing blood.

He has been very unwell.He recently had a bad foot bleed which necessitated being admitted to hospital.He also has fluid retention and his kidneys are not coping with all the medications he takes. I have questioned whether the Teva could be causing the skin irritation ,but his GP is denying it,saying that's not likely.

If anyone is newly suffering skin irritation whilst using Teva Levothyroxine I would be interested to know.I'm keen to improve things for him in any way I can.

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Marfit74,

It sounds as though your husband may be allergic to one of the fillers in Teva. Give him an antihistamine an hour before he takes Teva and if the itching resolves it confirms it. Ask your pharmacist to to dispense the make of Levothyroxine hubby was taking prior to Teva. You can report the adverse effects on Teva via yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

• Many thanks for that Clutter.I will.

• Allergy to fillers is common so stick to what works and ask your GP to name it in your prescription so the pharmacist has to get it for you.

• Thanks Silverfox7.......I have already spoken to our GP who was no help.Would you believe all his other thyroid patients have no problems and I'm the only one on Actavis !!!.......... As Clutter says,it's time to see the pharmacist and check what he was prescribed before Teva came back on the market.

Why do we thyroidians have such a struggle all the time ?

• I can't make up my mind whether they can't understand or just don't want to!

• I had terrible itching on one brand I was on . Not Teva but just goes to show we are sensitive to some. Dont get it now on Activas

Doctors are WRONG , some dont care !!

• Yes,I am fine on Actavis too.I went to our pharmacy yesterday and confirmed that he was switched to Teva in March when his repeat prescription was due,which sounds about right.However,they will order Actavis for me with the next prescription which will at least hopefully confirm whether it is the levo which is upsetting him.He does have sensitive skin...had to come off statins for the same reason some years back,plus they made him feel ill.

• If your chemist has just sent a different brand,,then it is likely down to the costing for the range they buy,,,sadly they keep changing the brands for some of my medications,,,and I have been lucky up to now to be fine with the changes,,,the fillers are a nuisance and why they have to be different in each brand,,when the original 'recipe' was set up is a real head scratcher,,,I hope some of the helpful replies come to the rescue,,and the chemist manages to get the brand that suits his needs,,,,ttfn from karen.

• Thanks Karen.I will try to get to thePharmacy today and see what I can do.Hubby has enough to cope with at the moment without scratching himself to pieces !!

• Have you considered making soft water,,by adding epsom salts to warm water,,with a tiny amount of baby infracare/or bath product,,both are for sensitive skins, and may help any dry skin, along with the itchy feelings,,and help till they go away,,,,good luck and get feeling better soon,,,ttfn from karen.

• Thanks for your thoughts,I'll bear it in mind. Today I will be seeing a doctor at hospital where my husband has been for the last 8 days.Hopefully he is being discharged so there will be discussion on his medications. The absolute good news is that he has been taken off warfarin and his legs are returning to a pink colour rather than purple /blue which has been so scary.Iam so relieved !! I will ask about his thyroxine and the itching too.

• may he have a good recuperation at home,,,ttfn from karen.

• Many thanks for your kind wishes Karen.

He is home now and just taking things easy ........sleeping a lot.......The other news is .....He's got the zapper back !!☹️

You may also like...