Levothyroxine and sore throat

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos, my GP prescribes me 50mg of levothyroxine, I have been taking it for 3 weeks now but my throat on the right side within first week was so sore even swallowing was painful, it has calmed down a little but now it has travelled to the left side and tonight after yoga I feel like the right side is starting.

Is this a side effect from levothyroxine?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Do you take levo with one full glass of water? If not that may be the reason.

• I take it with Tea in the morning. Should I take it morning or night?

• In order to get the full dose of levothyroxine, it has to be swallowed with one full glass of water and wait about an hour before eating.

This is a list of things that can interfere with the uptake.

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

You also have the option of bedtime dosing, as long as stomach is completely empty so, as we are hypo and food takes longer to digest than is normal, I'd allow 3 hours between last meal if it contains protein and 2.5 hours otherwise. If you decide on bedtime dosing you should miss night dose if getting a blood test next morning (the earliest possible) and you can take it next morning and at night as usual.

It we don't swallow correctly, levo can get stuck in our throat and swell.

• Bookesy,

Sore throat isn't a typical Levothyroxine side effect. You've probably had a virus which is spreading to the other side of your throat.

• I've had it for a week so was wondering if it was a side effect now they have kicked in. It I think I should of had antibiotics last week as my tonsil on the right was swollen so maybe I have a virus and I never went to get antibiotics. Thank you for the reply

• Brookesy,

If it is a virus antibiotics will be useless. Drink plenty of fluids and take paracetamol for pain and for high temperature.

• Ok I think I should of had antibiotics because the pain and swelling in my tonsil was horrendous. Maybe I'm just getting over that. Thank you

You may also like...