Developing Hypothyroid

Hi just joined and would appreciate some advice. I have coeliac disease and have recently seen a doctor privately as I have been having a few mild symptoms which I thought could be related to my thyroid. The test came back with following results TSH 6.57 and free T4 15.3. The private doctor seemed to think I would benefit on being on a low dose of medication which I've held off on for now. I handed the results into my own NHS GP surgery and was told a doctor might get in touch but not heard anything. I know my results are borderline hypo however my question is should I get rechecked in a few months time to see if levels rise further or just leave things for now. I know my own surgery does not prescribe treatment until TSH is 10 and above.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Julia80,

If you are symptomatic you should be prescribed Levothyroxine before TSH is 10. If necessary, change GP practice, most GPs will prescribe Levothyroxine when TSH is >6.0.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/diagno...

• Julia80,

If you are symptomatic make an appointment to see your GP about the results. If you are told to wait until TSH is >10 change practice.

• Thank you, I will make an appointment as I said my symptoms really aren't that bad I've just been aware over the last few weeks things being a bit sluggish, including me. My GP is renowned for not prescribing until TSH over 10 regardless of how you feel so wish me good luck!

• Julia80,

Well I hope your GP isn't that sadistic but if s/he is it is time to change practice. Hypothyroidism is a lifelong condition which requires GP support not obstruction.

You may also like...