TSH levels normal

TSH levels normal

Hi All

Last week I put a message on here re not feeling well all the time. I was waiting for my thyroid function test to come back. Since then I have come down with a uti.

My results re thyroid are now in and GP says they are normal. No further action required. Just wanted people's thoughts on the levels please if possible. Blood test wasn't requested as fasting and was taken at 10am in the morning. I am a type 1 diabetic on insulin.

Many thanks

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Rubizzalf Is TSH all they tested? As your TSH is well within the normal range then they won't do anything regarding your thyroid. However, just testing TSH is pretty pointless as you really need to know what your levels of FT4 and FT3 are, also thyroid antibodies to get a full picture. Unfortunately, lots of labs won't do these, even when requested, if TSH is normal.

I think the best thing you can do, if your GP can't get the other tests done, is invest £99 in a home fingerprick blood test from Blue Horizon. This will do all the thyroid tests plus all the important vitamins and minerals bluehorizonmedicals.co.uk/T...

• TSH may or may not reflect how much hormones are in the BLOOD. Ft4 and FT3 often much better.

BUT ... What really counts is how much hormones get into the CELLS! Doctors nowadays are not interested to know that :-(

Tens of years ago thyroid treatments had some flaws but anyway doctors measured the patients basal metabolism. At least they tried. (Coming to an appointment perhaps is not always when you are very relaxed?)

Unfortunately in Swedish language three professors emphasized this cellular level euthyroidism in the publication "Medicinsk Access" 2-2012 and also told that T3 in 24h urine is the best practical test. As was in this: tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10....

Tissue relevance of symptoms: drive.google.com/open?id=0B...

• Rubizzalf,

TSH 1.36 rules out primary hypothyroidism but without FT4 result and ranges it isn't possible to conclusively rule out secondary hypothyroidism. It may be worth ordering a private blood test to check the thyroid and vitamin tests SeasideSusie recommends above.

You may also like...