TRH challenge test

Does anyone know where I can get the TRH challenge test done?

I am beginning to think my 15 year old son may have a thyroid problem but we thought he had Asperger. Having read an article written by Dr. Raphael Kellman, who says a lot of children with a diagnosis of ASD have a thyroid problem, I would like to get my son tested. This doctor recommended the TRH challenge test as the normal TSH test often comes back within range even when there is a problem.

I have added the link to the article in case anyone is interested in reading it autismparentingmagazine.com...

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Thanks for posting Mouse. I have a nephew with Aspergers and as I and my son have thyroid troubles, I think this is a real possibility.

• I think that everyone on this forum will agree that TSH is a very poor way to diagnose thyroid problems. TSH is not a thyroid hormone - it is produced by the pituitary and stimulates the thyroid to produce thyroid hormones.

However, I am not so sure about the benefit of the TRH test for most people. It is a measure of how well the pituitary is working so may be useful for those with a pituitary problem.

T3 is the active thyroid hormone which controls the metabolism and therefore the symptoms and Free T3 is the best measure of it. As you are concerned about your son I feel that a full thyroid test, including Free T3, Free T4 and thyroid antibodies would be the best starting point.

I do however agree with Dr. Raphael Kellman, who says a lot of children with a diagnosis of ASD have a thyroid problem.

He suggests "Find a doctor who fully understands the connection between thyroid and the brain ...". Unfortunately people on this forum cannot even find a doctor who understands the thyroid. What chance then of finding a doctor who fully understands the connection between thyroid and the brain?

You may also like...