Nodule newbie

Although I have had autoimmune hypothyroidism for over 20 years, I have never experienced nodules or a goitre. However, a friend tells me that a scan revealed three nodules in her thyroid: 2cm, 3 mm and 5mm.

What does this mean (apart from just having nodules)? It is usually a symptom of something else? I don't have any details of bloodwork, although I think she mentioned that the GP had told her everything was 'normal'.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • hi hose have you had a thyroid scan at some point? my gp said i didnt have any nodules but when i paid to have a scan many were found the biggest being 2mm. most i believe are harmless.

• No, I've never had a scan. Never had even suspected nodules. I'm asking about a friend. A real one, not a 'friend' :)

• I know you were asking about your friend but what i meant was you say youve not got nodules my gp told me i hadnt got any and refused to refer me to an endo saying they would find nothing. i paid to have a scan done and was found to have multiple nodules, connective tissue fragments and thyroid gland fibrosis. my underactive thyroid was left untreated for 13 years because each time i went to the drs i was told it was 'all in my head'

• hose1975,

Thyroid nodules are common. I think it is usual practice to fine needle aspiration biopsy nodules >2cm to rule out malignancy. 95% of thyroid nodules are benign.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks, Clutter.

You may also like...