Help on blood results please

Help on blood results please

I've just had my blood tests results from BH and they have said that my TSH is high & I should retest in 3 months.

I had my TSH done back in March by my doc & this came back as slightly high but within their stated range, so doc said everything was normal.

Would anybody be able to tell me if I should be insisting on medication from my doc or whether these results are ok.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Add Photo

4 Replies

• IPD22,

You should ask your GP to retest you. If TSH is over range he can make a diagnosis and commence treatment. Arrange the blood draw early in the morning when TSH is highest and fast (water only) as TSH drops after eating and drinking.

Thyroid antibodies are negative for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's).

B12 is low. PA Society recommend 1,000 is optimal. Supplement 5,000mcg methylcobalamin for a couple of months and then reduce to 1,000mcg. Take a B Complex vitamin too.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks for the response. GP is less than helpful which is why I paid for my own tests, unfortunately unlikely she would test me again. She only allowed the one in March because 'she wanted to prove me wrong!'

• Ipd222,

You should show your GP the BH results and request retesting as BH recommended. If your GP won't test ask another GP at your practice or change practice.

• Unfortunately there are no standard ranges for thyroid tests and different labs have their own ranges. The BH ranges seem to be quite narrow so you are more likely to have an above range TSH with them. The NSH labs will probably have a wider range and your TSH will be "normal" with them!

That aside TSH is not the best test to base a diagnosis of hypo or hyperthyroid. T3 is the active thyroid hormone which controls the metabolism and therefore the symptoms and it gives the best indication of hypo or hyperthyroid. Your Free T3 is above the mid point of the normal range, so if the doctor looks at this result (and understands what it means) you will not get a diagnosis of hypothyroid.

With this good Free T3 it is unusual to have such a high TSH. It could be indicative of a genetic condition commonly known as Thyroid Hormone Resistance. It requires very high T3 levels in the body to overcome the resistance.

If there are other family members with fibromyalgia, CFS, ME, Coeliac Disease, MS, Heart Disease, thyroid or depression this would further support this.

You may also like...