I'm phobic about the finger-prick blood draw

Hi All,

So far for blood tests I've been getting my thyroid tests done at the same time as other tests which require a phlebotomist blood draw from my arm. It costs me £30 for that and I can't get it cheaper in my area.

Now the only tests in my near future will be those which are available by finger prick blood collection so I wn't need a phlebotomist - but I can't face doing the finger prick. I am not squeamish about the actual blood and I don't mind the little phlebotomy needle, but I just can't see myself creating a wound on my finger like that. However, if I could do the blood collection myself it would be a big advantage because I could do it early morning, plus it wouldn't cost me for the phlebotomy.

So does anybody else have this dilemma, and how did you get round it?

Thanks,

june

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • It's easy, I get my finger prick tests from Medichecks and you get several spring loaded lancets, just put the end on your finger and press, stings a bit afterwards but otherwise no problems.

• It depends on how much you bleed and where you stab yourself.

Mine was a slow process but it does not hurt and worth the effort.

Cut your nails first just as a heads up it helps so the blood does not run under them.

• Home blood test kits provide you with sterile wipes, cotton wool, plasters and lancets. It's really quick and easy to do x

• Thanks everybody for the encouragement. Looks like I am just going to have to take a deep breath and go for it.

I'll maybe take an aspirin on the previous 2 days to thin my blood as it coagulates really fast, also drink lots of water beforehand so the blood doesn't dry up before I have enough. And cut my nails - thanks Howard.

The sh** we have to go through.

June

• If you drink plenty water your blood will be less sticky. In fact if you ever need a fasting blood test you should drink plenty water beforehand. People often get a fasting blood test mixed up with 'nil by mouth' .

• First time I was scared too but have my kit ready for testing tomorrow morning. Routine for me now :D

I get up, tie my shoulder after warming up a bit, take the needle , sweat a bit as I hate the sound of it and it is over in 5 seconds.

It isn't bad at all in the end.

• I struggled with getting blood out the first time but I don't think I dad pressing hard enough. I find putting my finger flat on the table and pressing down with the lancet really helps

• hold the lancet in place for a few seconds, I find it helps with a better blood flow. It hurts me like blazes but I have fibro which turns pain volume up, up, up :( I have always been phobic of needles and blood been taken and was in a pathetic state first time I did the home finger prick test but struggled to get the blood to flow and got so frustrated forgot about being scared LOL now I barely blink when doing it. So yes lots of water day before, make sure you are warm and I take ginko now to help thin blood as was clotting in seconds and it is sooo much easier.

L

• Thanks so much for all your excellent tips on the best techniques!

I'm feeling a bit more confident now - if not exactly looking forward to it.

June

You may also like...