Help interpret blood results?

Help interpret blood results?

Hi all!

Diagnosed hypo since Sept 2014, all seemed well on 100mcg Levo for quite some time until I began feeling bad symptoms once again. I was upped to 125 and as is usually the case I felt myself for a while, before I began to go downhill, at my worst sleeping 18 hours a day which made life impossible.

I somehow managed to convince a new GP to test more than my T4 and TSH as I presumed that could have been an issue as to why I kept feeling this way. Just been to speak to my usual GP about the results who told me that everything's fine, and if anything I should be doing one day 100mcg one day 125.

I believe the GP tested T3 and Thyroid Antibodies, but I'm not too sure on their role and what figures I should be looking at here. If somebody could offer a second opinion I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers

Matt

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Mattioso, Thyroid peroxidase antibodies are negative for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's). Your thyroid results are excellent. TSH is slightly below range but doesn't mean you are overmedicated because FT4 and FT3 are within range. FT4 and FT3 are very good, both close to top of range. 125mcg appears to be an optimal dose. Your GP may think TSH should be higher which is why s/he thinks dose ought to be reduced to 100/125mcg.

    Your CRP, WBC and FBC are normal.

    Hypothyroid patients often have deficient/low ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate which can cause musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and low mood similar to hypothyroid symptoms, so you may want to ask your GP to test.

    __________________________________________________________________________________________

    I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

  • Hi Clutter!

    That's awesome, thank you for your help! With regard to the negative Hashimoto's reading, do you have any recommendations of the next step I should be taking? Is it necessary to get to the root of the hypothyroidism or should I just focus on treating the symptoms?

    I'll look into those tests asap. I currently only take a multivitamin and have had this recommended to me by someone in a similar circumstance who achieved great results, could it help in your opinion? boots.com/en/Boots-Re-Energ...

    As usual thank you so much for your help!

    Matt

  • Mattioso, 90% of hypothyroidism is caused by autoimmune disease. The other 10% is idiopathic (unknown) or due to thyroidectomy or RAI.

    If ferritin, vitD, B12 and folate are low/deficient there won't be enough of anything in a multi-vit to help and you'll need to supplement the specific low vit/mins.

    _______________________________________________________________________________

    I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

You may also like...