T3 dosing

Hi, I need help, I have been on T3 since March, I have gone through the awful 16 weeks taking high dose to rid my system of the excess T4 and RT3 that had built up, I have been slowly trying to get to the right dose but seem to be failing miserably. I am currently taking 10mcg at 6 am 5mcg at 2pm and 5mcg at 10pm. I have tried many variations of this dose but am just not getting it right. I also have been diagnosed with RA which the rheumatologist says is causing all the pain, however I think the thyroid problems are causing the muscle pain and the RA causing the joint pain. The pain I feel seems to increase when I have too much T3 in my system or when I have too little, I only increase/decrease by 5mcg at a time but just can't seem to pinpoint the best dose for me. I have tried just two doses at 7am and 7pm, I don't know whether to try going to 4 doses to see if that helps, but I need to know more about the half life of T3 and exactly how it works in the system? Can anyone explain to me exactly how it works and then maybe I can work something out? Many thanks in advance Angela

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Acunatang, I'm sorry you're feeling no better. A T3 dose is likely to be out of the serum within 6 hours of last dose and will take 36-48 hours to get into the cells. The short half life means it will be out of the cells in 3-3.5 days after last dose.

16 weeks off T4 and taking a low dose of T3 will usually be sufficient to clear a build up of T4 and rT3 and it may be time to consider reintroducing T4 to a reduced dose of T3.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks for the info on T3! Yes the T4 RT3 is out of my system now, I just need to get the T3 dose right!! There is no point in me taking T4 I do not convert T4 to T3 hence my problems initially so I really don't want to put T4 back in my system as it will just build up again! Thanks anyway Clutter

• Accunatang, I had the same problem with T4 but after clearing the build up I was able to tolerate T4 with T3 without problems. The oral T3 helps T4 convert.

• Ok thanks I will definitely look into that, my endo is finally giving me T3 on prescription, I did ask him about combination treatment but he doesn't know enough, I really didn't know that T3 can help convert T4! Are you sure this is the case?

• Acunatang, FT4 drops when T3 is added to T4 because conversion improves.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thanks Clutter, do you have any links I can read that explains this in more detail please?? Thanks x

• Acunatang, I'm sorry, I don't. If I ever bookmarked it I didn't tag it in a way I can find it.

You might find something on TiredThyroid. It's a good site and the author is an advocate of T4+T3 and references all her sources.

tiredthyroid.com/blog/2014/...

• Brilliant, thanks very much! I will try that site, never been on that one before! Thanks again :-)

• Acunatang, I think it's an ace site and I like that she references her sources.

You may also like...