Missing Link between Brain, Immune System: major disease implications

This has just been posted on the Gluten Free site.

'Missing link found between brain, immune system; major disease implications' :

"... but the true significance of the discovery lies in the effects it could have on the study and treatment of neurological diseases ranging from autism to Alzheimer's disease to multiple sclerosis. "

Last edited by

6 Replies

• Polaris, thanks for posting. Could eventually be very helpful in treating neurological disorders.

• I actually meant to post it on the PA site but it's just as significant here!

• Polaris, there's a lot of crossover between PAS and TUK. Would I be right in thinking it gives more credence to gut impermeability crossing the brain barrier?

• Yes Clutter - exactly what I thought - so many connections. This all went on from a posting here today:

I've been thinking that this also makes sense of why migraine with aura and it's weird effects in the head is often triggered by certain foods: tomatoes, cheese, chocolate, red wine...

• Leaky gut = leaky brain apparently !

• On the one hand, this paper reports a fundamental breakthrough in recognising physiological features which had been missed.

On the other hand, we see a world of endocrinologists who seem so certain that they really do fully understand something that has shown, time and again, subtleties far more difficult to see than a few tubes round the brain.

Reminds me of the discovery of Helicobacter pylori - how many doctors insisted that no bacteria could live in the stomach?

You may also like...