Increasing dose on NDT

Hi, I'd be grateful for some advice, please.

I began taking Thyroid-S 4 weeks ago, beginning with 0.5 grain a day raised to 1.5 grains a day after 3 weeks.

I read that I should stay on this dose for 3 weeks but after 1 week I feel I need more now (midday extreme fatigue) I have had no side effects or hyper symptoms.

Would it be a bad plan to raise to 2 grains now rather than waiting another 2 weeks?

7 Replies
oldestnewest

What dose of levothyroxine were you taking? If you were on levo previously, the normal way to switch over is a dose of NDT to the equivalent to levo, i.e. half a grain equals about 50mcg levo and 1 grain approx 100mcg levo. Excerpt - doesn't state Thyroid-S but others of equivalence:

getrealthyroid.com/the-real...

stopthethyroidmadness.com/m...

You can raise your dose after 2 weeks on a particular dose.

Reply

Hi Shaws, I was on 50mcg of Levo and after 7 weeks on that dose my bloods were:

TSH 1.07 (0.27-4.20)

Free T4 15.1 (11.0 - 25.0)

I switched to Thyroid-S because after 3.5 months on Levo my hypo symptoms had mainly got worse. I didn't want an increase as I had felt worse after going on the medication at the beginning and then worse again on the raise from 25 to 50 mcg.

Ok thanks for the 2 week info, I'll wait another week

Reply

You are probably like me, felt worse on levo so hopefully you'll feel much better when you get to an optimum dose. I, myself, tried about 5 NDTs, which was a great improvement, before I found one that I liked best. Hopefully once you get to a dose which helps you you wont need to try others.

Reply

Yes I have high hopes as I am finding some improvements already!

I'm guessing I didn't convert to T3 well but have never had it tested. I will test privately once I feel I am on right dose.

Reply

:)

Reply

Bobsmydog, 1.5 grains is bioactively equivalent to 112.5-150mcg Levothyroxine.

Usual advice is to increase in half grain increments every 2 weeks until symptoms resolve or on 2 grains which should be held for 4 weeks and then have a thyroid blood test before increasing further.

If you increase too quickly you risk overshooting and feeling overmedicated when the Thyroid-S metabolises. Have a look at this link which advises on dose adjustments thyrophoenix.com/adjusting_...

Reply

Ok thanks, Clutter, I will wait another week and then raise to 2

Reply

You may also like...