Iron defiency

Hi all I have under active thyriod and also pcos I have 100mcg of levo a day and my doc started me on metformin for pcos which I only took for a month as it made me feel rotten. I now have an iron defiency and also borderline vitamin d issue. Could metformin be too blame? Just for info sake I'm vegetarian have been for 8 years and all other iron tests were normal even during pregnancy there were at great levels and after as at first doc thought I was anaemic but it was my thyroid. So I'm really confused I've been rubbish lately with vits but that's not unusual for me but I eat iron rich food daily. Advice anyone and I don't have exact blood numbers

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Nettieboo, hypothyroidism, particularly Hashimoto's, impairs absorption of nutrients and vitamin and mineral deficiencies occur even when eating a healthy diet. It's no good having the supplements sitting there, you need to take them regularly and, sometimes forever, to improve levels.

• Hi clutter thanks for reply can you tell me if there is a good multivitamin you know of that I can take?

• Check your leaflet on Metformin or Google side efffects. I think it flushes glucose and while it can help you lose weight it does have side effects.

You probably need higher doses than a multivitamin can give you. You need extra B vitamins and magnesium and more than likely lots of vitamin D. These deficiencies will make you feel less than healthy and vitamin d helps prevent infection, helps your balance and defends against cancer.

You may also like...